Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hive #'s and condition  (Read 8504 times)

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
hive #'s and condition
« on: November 20, 2007, 08:57:21 pm »
What kind of shape are your hives in and have you lost any this winter yet?

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: hive #'s and condition
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 08:58:38 pm »
My hives are doing well. Winter doesn't phase them, they just steal more margarita mix. :-D

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 09:53:32 pm »
I have two full size and two nucs. So far so good.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 11:37:55 pm »
I have seventeen right now, all strong. I don't know if we'll have a winter. Will probably be toasting Margaritas with Brendhan in January. :mrgreen:
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 11:51:45 pm »
Dallas, I have 9 colonies, all appear to be strong and doing well.

I overwintered one colony from last year
Bought 4 nucs in beginning of May
Bought 4 package colonies in beginning of May

Had to combine 2 nucs in summertime because I killed a queen because of severe chalkbrood

Caught the swarm that my overwintered colony cast in the beginning of September (it is doing great too).

Have a wonderful and great day, beautiful life. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline MBrowne

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 12:22:55 am »
Thirteen and looks good. But, winter has barely set in.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 04:50:29 am »
    I'm down to six right now, lost two over the fall.  One was an 'inherited hive' that had absconded.  When I pulled frames there was some wax moth damage on some frames (I've seen frames totally trashed out) but the most remarkable thing was the chemical smell.  Reminded me of the poisons I used to smell when I was a kid in the 60's and early 70's.

The other hive was the strongest of three new hives, CCD survivor nucs, at first.  They became light and population dwindled.  fed and fed and they seemed to be getting back on track.  Went to check again a couple weeks later and they were only about a dozen left and dead bees that had starved while emerging from their cells.  Nectar looks fermented with bubbles.  Immediately sealed hive so nothing can get to it, just in case.  Other hives are eating and heavy and strong.

Edit:  Sorry, didn't mean to ramble.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 08:26:12 am »
We've got only one here at home, but two at my mother's and three up in Maine.  We'll see.  Hopefully at least one will make it through the winter!  :shock:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 09:20:36 am »
qa33010.  Nothin' wrong with ramblin', I am the worst offender of that, hee, hee,  :roll: ;) :)  It is good to speak your mind, hope all works out well.  Have a wonderful and greatest of days, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 09:48:38 pm »
What kind of shape are your hives in and have you lost any this winter yet?

The 2 8 frame hives are slightly flat and elongated from being cubic while the 2 nucs are much more the idea rectangle.  They all survived the most recent storm which was the worse since last October when I had all my hives blow over.  No losses yet.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 12:12:41 pm »
MY old hive I have had for four years my Nuc from Arizona My cut out I re-queened and the two nucs I made in September are doing great I just need some rain this winter and spring I'll be set kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Fannbee

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 12:48:17 pm »
Five hives comprising of two full brood boxes and one medium super.  I might have to much honey for them.  I guess I rather have to much then not enough.

Also, one nuc (late swarm) that is filled out two frames.  I am feeding it, seeing if it will make it thru Miss's light winter.

Happy Thanksgiving
Chuck and Fran

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 01:58:01 pm »
Just checked out mine today  :-D
Sunny, breezy & low 60s in South Jersey. I placed some bee candy in all 9 hives, all look good.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 06:53:32 pm »
down to 3 (from six) but this are actually fall losses, massive robbing, and i'll be darned if " robbing is always caused by the beek" stands for every robbing.

i guess exception confirms the rule...
ah well, too bad

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 10:18:04 pm »
2 hives now, up from 1 last year (split it). With all the problems I had this summer (swarming, losing queen, deformed wing virus, supercedure) they are doing great right now and I have high hopes for them this spring.

I could not have done it without your help. This means all of you.

Thanks
Annette from Placerville - currently visiting brother in New Jersey.

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007, 09:08:14 am »
bright and sunny mornings and afternoons with late afternoon showers. the girls take turns goingto the beach in the days for a little sunbathing and fish & festival. haqve switched from margueritas to rum cream :-D

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2007, 10:42:23 am »
Sean, I meant to tell you.  Your description of what your girls are up to conjures up a beautiful picture in my mind.  I love the heat, the warm and beautiful days of summertime.  Winter time is something that can go by the wayside in my eyes.  If I had summer all year around here, I would be a happier woman.  The only thing is:  when we have those long winter days, I am ever so grateful for the summer days that I know will come.  I love the middle of January here, the days get so much longer, each and every day, a few minutes each day, it is like a rebirth of spring, every year.  So, ya, there is an upside to wintertime.  Oh brother, here I go again, off topic, I really am sorry, I just can't help it.  Have a beautiful and greatest of days.  Cindi

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2007, 11:03:51 am »
Simple solution cindi,  move down south, no feeding, no winter, honey all year round, oh did i mention hives are filling up with honey, never too far from the beach. but thats the good part

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2007, 11:10:02 am »
Have six,(they are all wishing to go to the beach as well). All appear to be doing well as they are bedded down for the cold. Tried the sugar on the newspaper on the frame tops for some winter snacks. Now all we need is a little moisture (rain or snow). By the way Happy Thanksgiving everyone, hope you had a good time with family.

DennisB

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2007, 11:27:48 am »
This morning the frost is so thick on the grass and bee hives that it looks like snow.  Even with very few clouds in the sky the temperature is supposed to remain below freezing so the frost will prlbably be with us all day.

The bees are tucked into bed and snuggled close together.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!