Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Young Queen Absconding?  (Read 3379 times)

Offline Geoffk

• New Bee
Young Queen Absconding?
« on: December 27, 2014, 03:28:31 am »
Hi Guys, newbee beek and new to the forum - this is the post I have to make to stay active. A couple of weeks ago I had a new swarm hive go queenless so I  put a couple of frames of eggs from another hive into it. One week later, I check and one frame has 3 queen cells and one has 1 queen cell. Great! I take the frame with the single cell and make up a nuc with bees, honey and pollen from my big hive. All good! 9 days later, queen should have hatched "so I'll just go take a quick peek" to see if the cells are opened. Probably a bad move? Can't find any queens but don't look too hard because they're probably a bit small (being young). Problem - get a flash of a longer bee going through a hole in the corner of the frame, turn frame over she goes back, rotate frame back again - (I think) she flies off? Heart pounds - not sure if she was even the young queen - close up the box real quick. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had any experience looking at young queens that have just hatched and if they absconded. Think I'll leave them for a month or more next time to settle down and become accustomed to the hive.
Cheers Geoff
PS it's nice to read about people who keep bees and are having the same season as me ie Summer

Offline Chiefman

• House Bee
Re: Young Queen Absconding?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 09:06:35 am »
Yes i would check them 2 weeks later after you spot the queen cells. hopefully she just went on her mating flight and she will be back it will take a day or two before she lays eggs after mating
-= The Urban Beekeeper =-

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 08:44:13 pm »
I have never heard of a queen absconding on her own. Isn't absconding when all the bees go? I would just check them again in a week or two.

Welcome to the forum.

Offline Geoffk

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 09:55:13 pm »
Thanks Chiefman and Culley,
I did only get a flash of this bee so it possibly wasn't even the queen. Also it was mid afternoon when I had a look so it is possible that she was actually on a mating flight and not even in the hive (although I understood that a newly hatched queen would take a week or so to mature and harden up before her mating flights). I'll sit for a few weeks before having another look and hopefully eggs and brood everywhere. Still I think it will be a fair while till I "take a peek" at a newly hatched queen again.
Regards Geoff

Offline Rmcpb

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 03:27:21 am »
Don't worry too much about checking for new queens. it can seem to take ages for them to start laying so I tend to ignore the hive and check a few weeks later. That way the young queen is not disturbed un-necessarially, has had time to mate and you will see the brood (you don't need to see her if there is brood).

Its really hard when they are in your backyard though.
Cheers
Rob.

anything