Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fall Re Queen Question  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Matt J

• House Bee
Fall Re Queen Question
« on: August 22, 2016, 05:24:54 pm »
I have a queen that is questionable right now. I am wanting to give her a couple more weeks to see, but how late in the fall in the Southeast (Alabama) could I requeen a hive and still have a chance at a fall buildup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: Fall Re Queen Question
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 08:48:47 pm »
I always heard go by three brood cycles.... so 63 dyas. Others may have a better answer....
John 3:16

Offline Matt J

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 11:54:28 pm »
Thanks.  That makes sense. 

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 07:37:10 am »
I always heard go by three brood cycles.... so 63 days. Others may have a better answer....
  I know where I live in central New England. Your date for doing this is on Queens cells. The 3rd week in June to the first week in July. If you do it with a mated Queen you can get another 7 to 10 days. What's you are looking for is 3 rounds of brood and then the fourth round to be winter bees. Hope this helps.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Matt J

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 10:13:02 pm »
I always heard go by three brood cycles.... so 63 days. Others may have a better answer....
  I know where I live in central New England. Your date for doing this is on Queens cells. The 3rd week in June to the first week in July. If you do it with a mated Queen you can get another 7 to 10 days. What's you are looking for is 3 rounds of brood and then the fourth round to be winter bees. Hope this helps.

Great info. Thanks. I grew up in CT. Sure don't miss the snow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 01:42:08 am »

I do not understand the reply.... are you saying don't let them start a queen on thier own after this date... lost me on that one but of course you get more cycles with a mated queen than from a hive started queen. Maybe I am over thinking this .. :wink:

John 3:16

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 01:36:05 pm »
    Something to remember beekeeping is about location location location and of course resources. Where I'm located at we get two Honey flows per year spring and fall. (Some of New England only gets one Honey flow) Date I put in the post are the best dates for survivability, best mating time and building up enough to make it for about 4 1/2 to 5 months without no flying weather . Most likely  if they run out of food at this time  they're gone . Yes you can feed bees candy  but it's a hard way to go . hahaha Your chances of a swarm surviving after the 3rd week in August are not very good. Unless you have a lot of resources especially drawn comb. Possibly extra Cap brood Combs from another hive. And of course you may need to feed them. Of course if your goal is to get more drawn comb for next spring go for it. It's been my experience swarms can build comb straight and fast real good for about 3 weeks. Definitely a resource you can use in the spring. I only have about another 6 weeks. Before I want everything say and done. So the hive/nuc can survive the winter.             

Something to remember in the winter time I want to go see relatives in Central Florida, Southeast Texas and Southern California. I don't want to be in central New England  :wink:

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 02:46:49 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/