Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: TBHs in the Ukraine  (Read 2512 times)

Offline RDP

• New Bee
TBHs in the Ukraine
« on: July 08, 2010, 08:11:06 am »
I am a retired American living in the Ukraine and am interested in getting into beekeeping as a hobby. What I would like to do is start out with a couple of TBHs but am a little concerned about the winters here. Last winter it got down to about -30 C. Would the bees be able to survive a winter that cold? I was thinking about useing new 200 liter plastic barrels as my hives but am worried about the condensation as the winters are pretty damp. Any suggestions?

Bob
RDP

Offline ivashka

• House Bee
  • Hi from Colorado
Re: TBHs in the Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 03:02:28 am »
ты по русский понимаеш? я живу США,до этова жил в Одессе.
Thanks Art

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 06:33:52 am »
Long hives are traditional there...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 05:40:40 pm »
Take a look around the area where you want to keep and see if you observe any honey bees.  If so, then it should be possible to get them through the winter. 

The best way to reduce condensation is to insulate the hive exterior, without blocking all ventilation.  In short, wrap your hive (whatever its type, barrels should be fine) in quilts or styrofoam insulation, and make sure an entrance is available near the top of the hive.  Hot air will rise within the hive, and the bees need to be able to move air around or else that hot air will condense its moisture out on the inner top of the hive.
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest