Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Doing some thinkin'.....  (Read 2629 times)

Offline AdmiralD

• House Bee
Doing some thinkin'.....
« on: July 03, 2005, 01:38:27 am »
I have two hives and they are doing well...

I have my boxes in this order

deep#3
supper
deep #2
deep #1
screen Bottom Board.

The hive is begining to fill with honey...There is room in the bottoms for drawing out in each of the deeps. The bottom boxes of course is the brood chambers....There is just one problem...there is no brood there, at lest in deep #1. There is some [I suspect] older brood in #2 and the queen was seen in #3 and there  is more brood there along with honey. I have been in the hive to look for a queen, but she is eluding me....Deep #3 has large plastic cell with 2 frames of small cell, and the deeps are about 40-60 % small cell each and the rest in regular sized wax.

In an attempt to get the queen into the bottom hives, I am contimplating using bee go to drive them down...Is this a good idea or is there something I haven tried?  So the question I haven't asked is=Can I use "bee go" and drive the upper story bees into the bottom brood boxes [ and hopefullly the queen?

Also, can someone direct me to the web site that has the deep plactic cell, that mimics drawn comb? Perrico? perko? I can't remember the name of the sight....Micheal, I believe you are using these frames.....

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Doing some thinkin'.....
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 01:44:00 am »
As long as there is room in the 2 main brood chambers, I wouldn't do anything to drive her down.  As they fill the upper super with honey, as the brood emerges, they will drive her down on their own.
You could possibly move the frame she is on to the bottom box, but in all likelyhood, she will hot foot it right back where she was.  As long as you have room in the main brood chambers, I don't think you have much of a problem.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Doing some thinkin'.....
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 06:52:59 am »
Also, were you planning on abandoning the brood in the #3 deep?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Doing some thinkin'.....
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 11:47:27 am »
If you really want to catch her get three queen excluders (cheap plastic will do, but I do like the wood bound metal ones).  Put one between each box and comb back in four days to a week and see what box has eggs in it.  If you can't see eggs, then wait 9 days and look for open brood.  She's in the box with the eggs.  Put it on the top with an excluder under it and you can look at your leasure repeated times until you find her.  Or if you like lifting boxes, or if she's in the deep, put that box on the bottom with an excluder above it.

I wouldn't use bee go for anything.  How can you smell it without wretching?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything