Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Captured swarm now what  (Read 2292 times)

Offline yrots

• New Bee
Captured swarm now what
« on: April 06, 2013, 04:20:32 pm »
I captured a swarm from my neighbors shrubs by cutting the branch and removing the entire clump to a nuc box. Since I am starting beekeeping I have no frames of open brood or a queen clip catcher to anchor the bees. Should i just shake the bees into a super with a top feeder and hope for the best?

Dirk
Dirk

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Captured swarm now what
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 04:21:52 pm »
Yes :-D
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 06:12:26 pm »
Sounds like a good plan with what you have available. I've had the best luck giving them a frame of open brood to anchor them. Another method is to restrict the queen with an excluder. If you have a virgin the excluder will keep her from being mated. Good luck!

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 02:57:27 am »
might want to give them a top feeder and close the entrance for a day or two, then give them a small entrance. hopefully by then, they'll consider it home and have started building comb. You probably want to give them some alone time to settle in. Check the feeder and that's it for a week or so.
 Good luck with them

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 01:52:02 pm »
Toss em in on some foundation and put em to work.  Feed em and cross your fingers.  
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.