Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cedar Hive Stand for Polystyrene Hives  (Read 5951 times)

Offline AdmiralD

• House Bee
Cedar Hive Stand for Polystyrene Hives
« on: May 20, 2005, 03:27:42 pm »
Does anyone have the plans or assembly instructions for the hive stands? There are 8 pieces and I am not sure how it goes together, even though it  is pre-drilled. I have looked over the picture, but there are still some questions as to what goes where...

Can I get some help here, preferrably in picture form? Or maybe a site where it shows how to assemble it?

Neil

And yes, there is a reason why my icon has the "deer in the headlights" look....

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 03:53:51 pm »
I just use two treated four by fours for a stand.  I actually run eight foot long ones for rails to set the hives on.  You could use cedar four by fours, but they will cost four times as much.

A lot of people use concrete blocks.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 06:20:11 pm »
I have rail road ties I get them after they work on the rails and discard the old ties, & you dont have to go to a gym after lugging them around  :D

Offline AdmiralD

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 06:30:12 pm »

It's real easy to assume that you all know what I am talking about, but after I went and painted some hive bodies, I came back here and realized you all don't know what 'hive stands' I am talking about.

Well, the picture that I have included should be a clue. I bought these hive stands from better bee and they did not include instructions. Oh, well,...So, that is why I am looking for some instructions on these hive stands....Just not sure how a couple of small pieces of wood are to be fitted onto this stand......

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 06:48:55 pm »
Looks like a hive stand/bottom board all in one.  I would guess you have about 3-1/2 inch, or 3/8 inch strips, that the hive body sits on and creates the entrance.  Of course thats just a guess.  I have never had hive stands, or polystyrene hives for that matter.  I'm one of those cinder block guys.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 09:44:36 pm »
Do you have a camera? Can you post pictures of the pieces you are talking about?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline AdmiralD

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 02:14:46 pm »
Looks like a hive stand/bottom board all in one

Well, they are not.

And I did figure it out...I think...At least, it looks reasonably like the picture.

There are 8 pieces total. 2 long ones that go the length of the hive. 3 medium pieces that goes on each end and about 2 inches back behind the front one. 2 dinky [shorter than short] that are square cut on one end and 45 degree angle on the other end. . Apparently, these dinky pieces go between your front middle and front pieces. That leaves the lone pieces that is fairly wide, but angled cut lengthwise. It is the landing board that is so prominate in the picture.

Anyways, it works and the bees ain't complaining about it.  :roll:

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline AdmiralD

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 12:33:02 pm »
For future reference for those of us who use them, here is the wood pieces that I recieved

And here is how that little piece fits  [d]

And the landing zone board....

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 02:31:52 pm »
Wow... that does look like it could have been confusing. I don't think I would have ended up putting it together right. Just by looking at the pieces, I would have put it together different - not at all like the final picture showed.

Glad you got it worked out. Sorry the help wasn't there for ya when you needed it.

Beth