Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Early Season Freeze  (Read 2974 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Early Season Freeze
« on: October 31, 2008, 11:57:53 am »
I planted my garlic last week. Same week as last year. This year, we have had very hard frost already. Will it likely kill my garlic as it hasn't had a chance to set roots?
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline BenC

• House Bee
Re: Early Season Freeze
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 03:58:18 pm »
This time of year it can root surprisingly fast.  As long as it hasn't heaved up out of the ground it will be fine.  If it has heaved, replant it, mulch it, and it will be fine.  I usually try to plant around Columbus day, this year I planted first week of Oct and it's already rooted and showing 1-2 inch tops. 

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Early Season Freeze
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 11:03:40 am »
Konasdad, like BenC said, don't worry about it.  Even if the greens have developed above ground, like Ben's, that is still good.  The greens may freeze off, they may not, I have had garlic greens all winter long here, when I plant at the proper time, hee, hee  :shock: ;) :) :)  Garlic can take extremely deep freezes and be OK.  It is when the cloves get bumped out of the ground from the frost heaves that there is issue.  Just push the garlic back into the ground, and use mulch to keep it down, that is your best bet.  I still haven't gotten around to planting my garlic, I normally do that around the end of September.  Garlic does the very  best when it can grow slowly underground throughout the entire winter.  I really need to get mine in, but the soil is so wet, I can't get the manure turned under with my rototillar, and I can't plant until it has been turned under a little bit.  Eeks.  Oh well.  Eventually. 

Garlic does not do well if it is planted in the spring.  The bulbs come harvest time are just not that mature, I have had experience with that one, hee, hee.  So, maybe it is gonna just  be a dig under-the-ground-with-a-shovel deal here this year.  If that be so, that is gonna be a lot of heavy duty digging and work, but then, just suck it up, girl.  Have that most wonderful and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything