Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE / Re: Tornado hit yesterday
« Last post by Terri Yaki on Today at 01:37:08 pm »
Oh, that's horrible. Hope things turn out more better than worse for you. Glad that it wasn't worse as well.
I peeked inside the portals on my hives and saw condensation in the top two boxes, I didn't open the lower box because there were some ant cruising around and they have the bottom one sealed up. Anyhow, is that condensation a problem? I was cool last night and warmed up quicky this morning. I have not checked back to see if it's still there but I will.
I'm confused,       
Don't be, like I said its personal experience.  Ive done a lot of sugar rolls with mixed results and observed that some bees do die after the test.  Most people just dont hang around their hives for hours to see workers dragging out the dead bees.  I know it's considered non lethal which is good to get beekeepers to test.  I used alcohol/soap on the same bees after a sugar test and the mite counts doubled a few times. Not good.  Sampling 300 bees to save all the rest over the winter is well worth it.  Like Mr. Spock said, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."  May your bees live long and prosper.
From personal experience bees shaken/rolled in a jar of powdered sugar is a slow death.  Detergent is quick, effective, cheap, and a bit messy when Im sampling a lot of hives. I just keep a small bucket a water to rinse off. Alcohol works great too.  Its just a matter of preference.
https://scientificbeekeeping.com/?s=refining+mite+wash
I'm confused, in Randy Oliver's experiment he says the bees survived the sugar roll when he returned them to the hive.  Also, my bees don't look anywhere near that beat up coming out of the jar.  Most of them just fan a bit, and their sisters come and clean them off.       
WEB VIDEOS / Re: Paul Harvey; News and Comments 1987
« Last post by gww on Today at 11:34:14 am »
Kathy
You say yea but biden and insinuate they are all the same in an attempt to say trump is better.  Good same old use of otherism to change the subject rather then counter the fact.  The fact is a claim was made trump don't flip flop and that fact was addressed with my comment.
Kamala would be a better president then trump though.  A tin can would be a better president then trump.
WEB VIDEOS / Re: Paul Harvey; News and Comments 1987
« Last post by Kathyp on Today at 11:23:45 am »
I'm not mad about it but trump flip flopped on background checks and he flip flopped on tic toc and ect.  and lots of times he says two things at the exact same time so everybody can take what they want from it.  The dumb ones only take the part they want to hear and discount the rest being said.

Pretty sure that applies to Biden and Biden lovers too.  Biden has a long history of outright lying, so there's that.  There were more dumb Biden voters but I think many of them wised up over the last almost 4 years.  + Even the most Biden loving sycophants don't want to have Kamala as president. 

An interesting comment about sugar roll tests. We were told at a recent varroa course that sugar roll tests were fatal to bees but their death is slow and is not obvious. From memory they said that the bees spiracles were blocked by the powdered sugar and it took a few days for the bees to slowly die from suffocation. I have never heard of this before but have no reason to doubt what they are saying as they are experts in this field. I?m wondering if anyone has any information in relation to this area. Most of you on this forum deal with the pest on a daily and would be well informed on such things. I only perform alcohol wash tests as it is quicker and gives more accurate results which is important in the early stages of varroa spread.
From personal experience bees shaken/rolled in a jar of powdered sugar is a slow death.  Detergent is quick, effective, cheap, and a bit messy when Im sampling a lot of hives. I just keep a small bucket a water to rinse off. Alcohol works great too.  Its just a matter of preference.
https://scientificbeekeeping.com/?s=refining+mite+wash
FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE / Tornado hit yesterday
« Last post by BeeMaster2 on Today at 11:10:46 am »
Yesterday while I was eating breakfast it started getting really dark and the winds suddenly picked up. I knew we would have trees and power lines down so I quickly changed from shorts to long pants and my fire shirt while stuffing my breakfast down. I didn?t even finish when the first call came in so. I was getting in my truck ant the wind was blowing sideways. I got my brush truck and started clearing trees from my area. It was so bad that my chief had to set up an incident command. The radio was going non stop until 11:30 AM and then the calls slowed down. At one point, while i was several miles away, I realized that there were a lot of calls on the dirt road next to my property. Power was out in the whole northern part of the county and there is no cell service so there was no way of call home or even have dispatch call my house. When I got home I was immediately told that we were hit, all of the lived in houses were in tact as well as the barns but all the hives were strewn apart. Several trees were snapped or up rooted lots of fences damaged. One unoccupied house is severely damaged with large branches on the roof. A wood working shop was destroyed.
We still don?t have power, I?m on generator and the internet just came up.
Right after I got home Judy, Oida, my sister in law and I put all of the hives back together as best as I could. Not sure I put all of boxes in the right place. I will have to check to see if any of them lost their queens or not. I will give them a few days to fix the mess before I inspect them.
The second one is after I put them back together.
The third one is a large cedar tree right next to my house, I suspect the winds twisted right over this tree to snap it like that. The house is just a few feet from where the top of the tree is. The fourth one is a tree on the work shop. It is a total loss.
I have to get to work. More photos to come.
FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE / Re: Laser projects
« Last post by animal on Today at 10:56:40 am »
Just another piece of machinery that every farmer should have.
Considering the advance in technology that has made cnc laser engraving possible on a small scale, your casual statement is a cool as the projects you guys are making.
I still have trouble seeing the tool as "worth it" from the standpoint of a strict cost/benefit analysis with maximizing profit the goal. However, that is irrelevant compared to the idea of getting a super-cool toy, being able to call it a business expense and write it off on taxes (not to mention justifying the purchase to the wife). I did the same thing many years ago with a cad printer in my business years ago. Now you guys have convinced me I "need" a laser engraver for my business. :cheesy:
The man that dies with the most toys wins, after all :cool:
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Bee wreck
« Last post by Ben Framed on Today at 10:45:23 am »
> Usually the boxes are scattered all over the road.
You have a great fire department.

And it seems bee wrecks are not unusual.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
anything