Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Bees not, Yellow Jackets found  (Read 7913 times)

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
Honey Bees not, Yellow Jackets found
« on: August 11, 2010, 04:44:27 pm »
Lady said bees coming from base of oak tree & she was attacked while watering w/ hose, 10 times the day before. Checked out & was yellow jackets residing in ground nest in an undisturbed over grown bed of lillies. Got garden fertilizer attachment connected to hose w/ soap & smoker ready. Smoked area & spayed w/ soapy solution & started digging round periphery of area I had seen em going in ground. Finally dug up a pommelo sized nest of 5 combs which I placed in bucket w/ soapy solution. Realized later should of attempted to destroy hive in night when all workers are home,lol.

What methods have others here used to erradicate yellow jacket hives to close to human inhabitants? Will quite likely encounter again as folks confuse yellow jackets w/ honey bees. Chalking this one up to another life lesson,lol. Bon appetite & great lunch all.

Cheers, David S
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
Re: Honey Bees not, Yellow Jackets found
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 05:25:20 pm »
we use to just poor gasoline on ground nest, dont even have to light it

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 07:56:34 pm »
We use gas also, at night.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 11:57:51 pm »
If you can hook up with the right lab those yj are worth a lot of cash. They have to be very clean (no dirt or debris) and immediately frozen with dry ice. I have a friend down here that makes a living off yj removals.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 02:08:05 am »
I'm sure it's not an approved insecticide... but to reiterate, a cup of gasoline, not lit, works like a charm.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 02:12:30 am »
i just scream and run like a little girl.  no YJ removals for me!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 02:39:47 am »
Gasoline it is! Guess I'll be at the pump gathering cup or 2 of 87 for the pesky buggers & giving them a night cap next time,lol. Scott how does your amigo go about catching these lab specimens or is that a trade secret?

These yellow jackets picked 2 areas in Lily of the Nile flower beds that were w/ overgrown roots. The water the homeowner used from her sprinkler sys. wasn't much to wet dryish soil so YJ seemed to have an ideal habitat. Usually rodents burrow in these older beds & create voids. The second YJ hive was a bit bigger like a small melon 9inches long. Got stung 4 times between the both hives & YJ sting grows slower in redness & lasts longer & has a burning itch more so. The hive only came at me intensely when watering their area & of course when digging it up. Smoker didn't seem to faze em much but was better than nothing. Gotta find one of those labs Scott to make a few $$ to help pay for this bee addiction :).

Cheers, David S
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 02:52:43 am »
Yes Kathy my reflex was to run w/ those robotic jet fighter looking yellow/ black slick sporty bugs pelting me but kept fighting the urge,lol. Funny what curiosity get's you into. A first time for everything.

Hopefully my YouTube vid comes out to see the second YJ ground hive details. I find this one on YT a hoot though a bit long:DYI: How To Remove an Underground YJ Hive

Cheers, David S

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 08:37:55 am »
Now that was a crazy way to get some fishing bait.  Wasp are easier.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 09:27:35 am »
i just scream and run like a little girl. 

We must have read the same book, cuz thats my method of operation too. lol. Then I sneak back like a ninja with the ole gasoline treatment .

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 04:07:38 am »
Here's my comparable boring YT adventures in digging for Yellow Jacket gold:
La CaƱada Yellow Jacket Ground Hive Extraction

& the nest:

Bucket O' Yellow Jacket Comb & Larvae

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 10:52:38 am »
i had a pretty unfortunate run in with them last year.  brush hogged a nest and didn't run quite fast enough  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 03:55:00 pm »
Looks like a bucket for Bream food.   Ready to go to the pond.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 04:17:57 pm »
i had a pretty unfortunate run in with them last year.  brush hogged a nest and didn't run quite fast enough  :-)
I get a smile on my face every time I think of that sorry but the way you told the story still cracks me up. :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 05:38:46 pm »

Sorry to hear Kathy. Musta missed that adventure. How did the stings compare to the honey bees? Mine still itching but only mildly, YJ stings seem more potent.

What does this term mean, "brush hogged a nest". Come across it a few times in forum, but I don't get out much other than w/ the flora & fauna,lol.

Cheers, David S

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 05:43:45 pm »
Looks like a bucket for Bream food.   Ready to go to the pond.

Whats bream food!?! Yes someone told me would have been good bait as well but thats another how to course I need to take Fishing only hooked me my friends brothers foot, what a disaster,lol. Now know how to cut of the barb of hook w/ wire cutters & stop bleeders  :fishhit:

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 06:45:01 pm »
I don't know of a how to course for bream.  Just find some water and just learn it.  When the float goes under, pull.

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 01:15:07 am »
Don't tell me i'm the only one on here who enjoys lighting the gasoline.  I thought there was something in the males gene code that made us light gasoline poured down into a yellow jacket's nest.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 02:43:15 am »
I've lit enough in my lifetime to know I don't like the risk...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 12:30:58 pm »
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but just don't use the gasoline trick next to a lady's prize rosebush - it does a great job of killing plants too.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"