Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Planting ginseng  (Read 3764 times)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Planting ginseng
« on: November 01, 2010, 11:45:38 am »
Has anyone had any experience here on planting ginseng?  I recently obtained some wild ginseng seeds and have them in one of those micro-greenhouse seed starters with a grow light on them. Ive got a good place to transplant them to when/if they ever come up. Most people around here, pull the plant up and then take root and all home with them without any thought to replanting the seeds. Wild 'sang is getting pretty hard to find.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Planting ginseng
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 11:34:48 am »
VolunteerK9, wishing you well with the endeavour.  I have never grown ginseng, but it looks like a lovely plant, be patient, I bet the seeds will germinate and you can plant it.  Have a most wonderful day, with love and great health, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 06:06:05 pm »
I know it is next to impossible to grow.  It needs to grow in the shade (like old growth forest) to cover it with a canopy of something.   It takes 4 years to mature (sit back and wait).  It needs to stay dry so plant it in hills to keep the feet dry.  And after you harvest go and find somewhere else to plant it.   It will not grow in the same dirt again.  Ain't that crazy?

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 08:34:11 pm »
I always planted the seed back in the ground when I dug it up. Just about too late to go now with all of the leaves on the ground, got to look for the red berries. Never tried to grow any from seed but have heard that the buyers can tell the difference between home grown and wild and do not pay as much for it.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 10:02:52 am »
I know it is next to impossible to grow.  It needs to grow in the shade (like old growth forest) to cover it with a canopy of something.   It takes 4 years to mature (sit back and wait).  It needs to stay dry so plant it in hills to keep the feet dry.  And after you harvest go and find somewhere else to plant it.   It will not grow in the same dirt again.  Ain't that crazy?

I just have a few seeds to plant now, but entertained the idea of buying some more to plant under normal (wild) conditions to see how they fared. Who knows, maybe by the time my kids are teenagers and hopefully out in the woods instead of chasing girls, they might find some  :-D