Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Removed Drone brood and questions  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Highlander

• House Bee
Removed Drone brood and questions
« on: May 17, 2013, 12:09:12 pm »
One of my hives has lost their queen. I have one or two queen cells going and I know at least one has an egg in it.  Attached are some pics of the three frames removed and put in the freezer.  I would like for them to re-queen themselves if only for the experience of watching the process.  I replaced the three frames with fresh un drawn and added a hive top feeder of syrup.

My question is; does anyone know what kind of bee is in the first two photos. I found three or four of them in the hive.

Hive #2 seems to have a laying queen in it even though there was some speculation that she had gone missing also. I found covered brood and fresh laid eggs in a good pattern. So that is a relief.

I thank all who look and all who respond, any and all advice is welcome.
Cruachan!

Highlander   

For as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
From The Declaration of Arbroath 1320.

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
Re: Removed Drone brood and questions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 12:18:15 pm »
Well looking at those pictures of comb.. you've got a laying worker in that hive.

As for the bee. Maybe someone else has a clue. Perhaps that is a laying worker. Not sure if they look different or not.

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 01:04:52 pm »
Some type of wasp. :shock: :) d2

Offline Highlander

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 01:21:16 pm »
Nietssemaj;  No doubt about that!  I am hoping for them to re-Queen, which they have started, by pulling those frames and adding empty foundation. Its not a worker, its about half the size of a honey bee.  The girls did not seem to bother it and it was eating stored syrup at one point.

Don2; Didn't even think of a wasp! 

Cruachan!

Highlander   

For as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
From The Declaration of Arbroath 1320.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 01:25:03 pm »
The fuzziness is confusing as wasps are usually smooth.  The proportions are wrong for a bee.

You have laying workers.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslayingworkers.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything