Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: your opinions on hooded jacket w/veil  (Read 3999 times)

Offline mswartfager

• House Bee
your opinions on hooded jacket w/veil
« on: November 02, 2009, 12:50:17 pm »
I already have a full suit from Dadant that has served well over the last two years,  but I'm interested in getting a good hooded jacket w/veil for easy on/off and quick trips to the bee yard (hopefully for my Christmas :)).  Any opinions on which are better or worse?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: your opinions on hooded jacket w/veil
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 12:55:34 pm »
http://www.mannlakeltd.com/ProductDetail.asp?idproduct=398&idCategory=4

i got this one and i like it.  i have had it for about 3 years and it's all i use even for cutouts.  i ordered one a bit large so that i could wear a sweatshirts, etc. under it.  it's also roomy for summer when i only wear a t-shirt under.  washes well on the gentle cycle and hang dries quickly.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 01:27:44 pm »
I have the same one, and I use it exclusively.  I keep my full suit for visitors to the bee yard.  It is roomy enough and provides ample protection.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 01:34:53 pm »
I normally wear only street clothes, but I keep one of these near, and the bees do tell me to put it on now and then. It works quite well.

https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=723
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AGM

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 04:03:33 pm »
I have the one iddee posted. It works very well.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 04:19:13 pm »
I really like my hooded jacket with veil. I mostly wear this, unless I have to do a complete inspection of the supers, splits or removing honey. Then I wear my full suit.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 07:19:11 pm »
All the ones I currently have in use are hooded.  I retired all the ones that required a helmet.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 08:02:59 pm »
I have the same one from mann lake and like it very much. They say its not for commercial use since it is lighter material but you couldn't prove it to me.

Offline mswartfager

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 11:25:24 am »
Michael Bush:
All the ones I currently have in use are hooded.  I retired all the ones that required a helmet.

That was what I was also interested in getting away from - the helmet. 

Thanks for the input from everyone.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 07:07:50 pm »
I also have the one from Dadant, it is a very nice jacket and veil combo. easy on and off.

The only drawback that I find.............it is HOT as four Haties.

I had the helmet and veil before and wore it for many years, It is more cumbersome when doing cutouts if you are at odd positions (the helmet falling off of your head) but is much cooler to me since a breeze can at least blow on you neck. I got it with the zipper and had the other half sewed to a pair of coveralls. The coveralls were hot also. I just try to not wear anything anymore.

G3

Better clear that up, just try to wear street clothes only, I'm not up to naked beeking just yet.

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 03:09:41 am »
Get it.  You will be glad you did.  I have a veil with a helmet also (as seen in my pic).  I use it when it is hot and I don't want to wear the jacket.  I can put the jacket and gloves on in a minute (I believe its the same one kathyp has a link too).  If you take a break and walk away from bees you can simply unzip and flip it back, wipe the sweat of your face, have a drink, grab a snack, make a phone call, or whatever then be back in business in no time.  The helmet veil is a real pain in the butt to put on, and alway seems to need adjusting.  I have not been stung through the jacket yet but have heard it is sting resistant and not sting proof.  It has plenty of pockets too.

There cheap and worth every penny.

Oh, I have washed it twice and it has held up great so far.  I zip all the zipper up all the way when I wash it.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 04:22:25 pm »
I'm going to get the one that Kathy referenced. If I normally wear a large in a coat should I stick with that or go up a size?

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 10:01:30 am »
bump

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 11:19:29 am »
I'm going to get the one that Kathy referenced. If I normally wear a large in a coat should I stick with that or go up a size?

When purchasing a jacket/veil combo buy two extra sizes up. You want the extra room, besides most come smaller than you expect.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 05:05:17 pm »
I love mine. I have the ultrabreeze hooded jacket.
My husband has one too. I have no complaints about it and it has the mesh to keep you cooler in the summer.
When its real hot in the summer and I where that jacket (you still get hot) I wonder how the heck people do it in the regular jackets, they must be dying of the heat.
I think it was well worth the money.

http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com/

Offline pgayle

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 11:31:26 pm »
My husband also has the ultrabreeze from honeymoonapiaries.  I couldn't post the link.  I think a previous poster linked to it. 

He loves it.  It really does let the breeze through and he hasn't been stung through it.  He has the jacket with attached hood.  It's roomy enough to wear a sweatshirt under it in cool weather.  

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 08:41:42 am »
I have Dadants but dont like how it sits on my back when driving between locations.  I like the way the sheriff lays but because of cost I will try mann lakes this spring.    http://www.mannlakeltd.com/infopage.asp?idPage=95