Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: It's that time again.........  (Read 5412 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
It's that time again.........
« on: October 05, 2009, 11:56:05 am »
Just about half done.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: It's that time again.........
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 12:31:52 pm »
my concession to old age was to switch to a pellet stove.  anymore, i'd rather stow 3 tons of pellets, than chop and stack wood.   + it's more efficient.  being our only heat source, it was worth switching and staying warmer.

enjoy the rest of your project!  at least it helps keep you in shape   :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 07:57:09 pm »
Stopped a city truck hauling 5" to 6" long 12" diameter oak logs to dump just this morning.  From now until I tell them to stop they will drop them off here.  Shorter trip for them and good for me!!  Gonna fire up the saw and power splitter in the early AM. :) :) :)

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 09:57:30 am »
my concession to old age was to switch to a pellet stove.  anymore, i'd rather stow 3 tons of pellets, than chop and stack wood.   + it's more efficient.  being our only heat source, it was worth switching and staying warmer.

enjoy the rest of your project!  at least it helps keep you in shape   :evil:

Pellet stoves are great.  Someone needs to design one that can use dried chipped wood or even sawdust as fuel.  Tons of that kind of material gets wasted all the time.  My concessions to old age were to switch to propane, and get rid of livestock that could escape from fences and have to be caught.  Last time we had a bull get out I was like "Can't I just shoot him?" before we got him confined.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 10:15:20 am »
Oh Iddee, I know that work.  We used to do an incredible amount of tree cutting, splitting, hauling the wood to the shed, eeks.....but it will certainly keep the biceps lookin' good, smiling.  Have that great and most beautiful day, with great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 10:59:33 pm »
Couple of suggestions. One, has anyone looked at the possibility of the outside stoves. They can burn just about anything you throw in them. Larger size logs means less cutting and splitting. They will burn green wood, wet wood, sawdust, cherry pits, wallnuts, you name it. The cost and availability of pellets is starting to be a real pain in the _ss.
The best heat pump that you can possibly afford is another great option. They can pay for theselves if you get the high efficient models. That is of coarse if you do not live in Alaska.

Offline Burl

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 12:55:27 am »
Sparky ,  We put in an outdoor boiler when we rebuilt .  It was expensive , we went for in-floor heat .  Plumbing and all along with the boiler ran us about $12000 CDN.  But now we are definately spoiled having warm floors.  We plumbed it so it makes a big assist thru a heat exchanger to help heat our domestic hot water too.  Once you get a hot fire going it will burn most anything , and the bark/sawdust/ash mess stays outside.  We love it , and at the current energy prices , it should pay for itself in a just a few years .
                                             ---Burl---
Of all the things I've ever been called ;
I do like "Dad" the most .   ---Burl---

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 08:57:54 am »
>>>>One, has anyone looked at the possibility of the outside stoves.<<<<

Look at the little building in the photo. It isn't a building, it's my water stove. This will be my fifth winter using it. The cost of it, with installation, was less than 3 years of propane. All my wood is delivered to me free, from tree services.
Some I have to cut to length, some is already cut. I do have to split it. It is hooked right in with my propane furnace, so I can use it when I want, or turn on the gas, if so desired.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 11:19:38 am »
i have looked at the outside stoves.  also the propane generators.  a couple of years ago i found an off grid place that i loved.  hubby would never go for it, but i would live there in a heartbeat. 

the funny thing about it was that because of it's high location, you could pick up a cell tower if the stood in the right place.  it was like being alone in the world....just me and the verizon network  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 09:51:17 pm »
Glad you are happy Burl. When I purchased my pellet stove and took out my wood stove, it was to be a temporary thing. I needed to free up some of my time spent cutting and splitting wood to work on my apartment building, where I installed high efficient heat pumps so I did not have to buy oil anymore. The tenants love them because now they have the best of both worlds with heating and cooling. When I mentioned to my other half that my plan was to put in a outside stove, she could not quite grasp the concept. Everyone that I have talked to, that owns one, loves them. No more dragging all them insects and mess into the living quarters of your home and have the capeability of heating the domestic water and even an out buildind with even the smaller units.  With my plans to put mine under a lean type shed that is long enough to store a years wood in the dry and to be able to load the stove even if it would be the type of stove that looks like a shed,it should work well.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 10:13:26 pm »
I have several downed trees I do not have to fell. :-D :-D 8-) 8-) :roll:
I also go to the pallet mill and get cured blocks, $10 small pic-up load.
Can also get some long scrap (2 to 4 ) feet long  X 2 x3/4 inches for free.
I have one of the old style pot bellies.
Also got my new flue today. got my work cut out for me for the next few days.
It is cutting in on my deer hunting time. :'(
doak :)

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 10:39:36 pm »
Hay now doak. You are going to have to get your priorities in order. We have to stop that cutting into deer hunting thing out!!!! ;) Tell the family that if they want to stay warm they can go hunting with you and huddle up to stay and keep you warm. LOL!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 11:08:15 pm »
Deer hunting at night is illegal. Get a flashlight for the family members to hold for you while you are cutting wood.

Two solid rules of life.

1... food should never take up fridge space that could hold beer.

2... nothing should cut into hunting or fishing time. whatever it is, it can wait.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 11:17:42 pm »
Haven't had any beer space in my fridge in 12 years. cola's
I only cut wood from 10 am till 3 pm. :roll: The time I am speaking of is the flue installing.
I do not work nights. I do not hunt nights. I sleep nights.
Night John boy, and all the rest. :)doak

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 11:07:16 am »
Just about half done.

I work on wood now & then all year long.  Many days in the winter, I walk or ski or snowshoe out to the woods with my chainsaw to fell and buck trees.  When the roadways are dry enough, I bring my old 8N tractor out to the woods and haul the logs back to the woodshed behind my house.  I split the pieces as I take them off the trailer.  As I split the wood, I throw it into the wood shed.  Then it gets stacked in the woodshed.  In August or September, I move 8 - 10 cords from the woodshed to a shed that is attached between the house and barn. 

I have about 4 cords left in my woodshed, so I am about half done for the winter of 2010-2011. 

My woodlot is northern boreal forest, so I mostly burn a mixture of yellow birch, white birch, hemlock, beech and sugar maple. We have been doing this for 32 years.  This year my youngest of 3 kids started college this year, so I have don't have much help anymore. :'(
"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson

anything