Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Are Your Dahlias Blooming?  (Read 5091 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Are Your Dahlias Blooming?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 02:31:09 pm »
Not yet, but they are getting bigger and bigger. Can't wait

Annette

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 05:05:16 pm »
I got mine to sprout, but they failed when transplanted. I saved some seeds and will try again.appreciate the seeds !!!!!!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 05:42:11 pm »
I've had Dahlias blooming since May. I actually bought a flat of those smaller ones. I've been meaning to try the larger varieties though. Any suggestions?

Offline beemused

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 06:45:08 pm »
Growing tall and strong. Looks like they will bloom before long. Thanks again for the seeds. Will post pics when blooms arrive.

Bruce
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 07:00:05 pm »
I was just thinking of that when i was watering about 45 minutes ago. I had a ton of sprouts but i think I crowded them...I'm still watching the ones that havent done anything. As soon as one blooms I'll post a picture!. Yeh, like everybody has said, Thanx for the seeds :)
 Cindi, did any of the "Air Potatos" sprout?

your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 10:57:22 am »
Sharon, I got my seedlings in so late, they are only about 2 feet tall, but should be showing blooms soon.  Now, my Sister, who was much more diligent with the seedlings from your seeds, had quite a few that are starting to bud.  Still gonna be at least two weeks before the buds open.  I will take pictures for you, thank you for those seeds.  I think that we planted out about 80 seedlings.

John, me bad.  I did not even get the air potatoes set to germinate.  But there will be next year.  I got so far behind with so many things this year because of our nasty spring, I didn't get even 1/10 of what I should have started started.  No worries, they are in cold storage for next year, I will be much better next year at diligence, hee, hee.  Have the most wonderful and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 11:20:20 am »
Oh goodie, can't wait to see what kind of blooms will come of those seeds!

What the heck is an air potato??

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 03:39:17 pm »
yeh Cindi....We all know what happened to you this summer!...MOTORCYCLE!! :-D
 Harley isnt just a ride,....Its a "Way of LIFE!"
 An "Air Potato" is a vine that will grow about a foot a day. At the end of summer, there will be things that look like tiny potatoes which grow from the vines. But, right before they turn to potatoes from the Flowers(which look like grape clumps after you've eaten the grapes) they smell very faintly like cinnammon.
One of the nicest things about them is after they die off you can pull then down really easy, easier than morning glories!

Want some later?

your friend,
john

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 10:27:37 am »
Oh sure Johnny...I'll give the air taters a go!  Thanks!

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 10:33:19 am »
 I'll PM you when they start making potatoes. That should be in about a month and a half
You can google "air potato"  (Mines the smaller variety,potato that is...The vine gets about 20 feet long or more) in the meantime just to make sure you want them

your friend,
john

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 11:30:00 pm »
Any blooms yet??

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 01:07:35 am »
They are about 3 feet tall and think I see some blooms appearing. They are in my friends garden (where the bees are) and I need to get in there and take a better look. He told me they were doing well and getting stronger and bigger.  I will also post some photos when they bloom

Annette

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 11:00:04 am »
Oh I have 200 going full tilt boogie...been beesy!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 11:14:38 am »
Sharon, have to count how many are growing, the buds are not quite opening yet, but most of them are looking mighty fine.  I will be getting pics as soon as I see a flower fully open in all its glory.  They are planted all over the place.  I know you plant yours in a certain spot, I remember seeing these most beautiful and awesomely gorgeous rows, upon rows, upon row!!!!  Beautiful, most wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 02:26:48 pm »
Have 5 strong plants getting bigger and bigger and guess what??  Buds all over the place on at least 3 of them. Wow!! Will take photos when they open up.