Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Robbed my first honey , well almost  (Read 1914 times)

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
Robbed my first honey , well almost
« on: September 19, 2010, 10:22:29 pm »
Yep I took half a frame of honey. WHAT? yeah I have the plastic frames and on the other side was alot of brood. So I took my trusty #2 food grade bucket to the hive. I took out the frame of honey, brushed off the bees,( now this kinda freaked me out a little, I never had that many bees in the air before while being at the hive. I had to keep telling my self "they cant get in your suite")

I scraped that half of frame off into the bucket very quickly and replaced the frame.

YES MY FIRST HONEY. there should be one or two more frames ready next weekend.

This is a first year hive and I didnt think I would get any this year, so 3 - 5 pound Iam pretty happy with.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
Re: Robbed my first honey , well almost
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 10:37:39 pm »
the first 'any' is nice. congrats.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 10:39:12 pm »
OK, now let us know the truth.   Just how much of your honey harvest do you still have?  And will there be any for breakfast in the morning?   :-D

Ain't life good.

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 09:34:04 am »
Nice.

Will you leave enough for the bees or will you feed them?

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 12:09:21 pm »
Congratulations!  Feels good, doesn't it?

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 08:58:44 pm »
The bees have what are in the two deeps. Plus I will feed them also. The funny thing about this honey is that it almost has a red ting to it. I have seen dark honey but this looked, as I scraped it off the frame, Like it was mixed with blood....... OH NO BLOOD HONEY  sound like the next horror film

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 09:00:39 pm »
Or better yet, oh no, humming bird feeder honey?

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 11:28:11 pm »
thats from the japanese knotweed (or what some call "red bamboo" )  enjoy your first harvest!

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 11:30:51 am »
Oh yah, neighbors hanging red humming bird syrup will produce scattered cells of redish/pink honey.  At least it sure did in my hive this year.  It was very easy to spot, and I could tell cause I knew exactly when the humming bird feeder went up.  But it was just scattered on a few frames and didn't affect my harvest/taste  in any way.  It all got mixed in.

And yes, congratulations on your first harvest.  It is so sweet.  Just think how great next year is going to be when you get whole supers full.

As a hobbyist I just love giving my honey away.  Sure makes Christmas a lot easier when you don't have to worry about what to get those people you know you need to give just a little "something????" but don't want to spend days shopping for smaller gifts.  And like this weekend, a friend just brought me an unexpected gift back from Singapore, so now I will take her some honey to say "thank you."  Everybody loves to get honey, and homegrown is the best!
linda d

anything