Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Vicks VapoRub for SHB?  (Read 2325 times)

Moots

Vicks VapoRub for SHB?
« on: April 12, 2013, 12:05:11 am »
Anyone else ever head this one?

A guy at our LBC mentioned this one the other night, I hadn't ever heard it before...

He takes Vicks VapoRub and leaves it in the sun to help it flow a little better, he then sucks it up in a big syringe that he's cut the tip off of.  He said he keeps it on him when he works his hives and if he sees SHB's in a hive he squirts a dab in each corner of the box.  Claims the SHB's hate it and the bees could care less.

I don't have enough of a SHB problem to try it, and I'm not sure I would even if I did....But was curious how wide spread this approach is....
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 02:11:09 pm by Moots »

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
Re: Vicks VapoRub for SHB?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 02:38:24 am »
Moots....Never heard of that before, but I sure will be watching this thread!  SHB are a major issue here, even in my strongest of strong hives.  Thanks for putting this out there, and lets see what we find out!   ;)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 01:04:42 pm »
My father-in-law taught me to use it to keep the bees from sting you hands or where ever you need it by smearing it on. I used to use it and it seems to have worked. In other words the bees hate it also.
Don't think I would be putting it in my hives.
Wipe a little in front of a small hive entrance and see what happens.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 02:45:17 pm »
I wouldn't use that stuff if you payed me. My mom used to use that on us kids. I can't stand the smell of it now. I think it would drive your bees out of the box.

Moots

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 12:20:56 am »
I wouldn't use that stuff if you payed me. My mom used to use that on us kids. I can't stand the smell of it now. I think it would drive your bees out of the box.

tefer,
I hear what you're saying, but according to him, the bees don't mind it in the least and the SHB's hate it.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 01:42:32 am »
 I once heard of using Halls menthol cough drops for Tracheal mites -only problem was
 the sent over powered the queens pheromones and bees supersede the queen-tell him
 to try banana peal  ;) see what he says--RDY-B