Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lots of comb - Lots of brood - 3 Queen Cells - No honey  (Read 2804 times)

Offline HBW1412

• House Bee
Lots of comb - Lots of brood - 3 Queen Cells - No honey
« on: July 09, 2011, 11:44:30 am »
On April 11, 2011 I started two top bar hives.  One of the hives balled their queen and didn't take to the replacement queen either.  I'll try again next year with this hive though.  The other hive however is doing great with one exception.  They are not storing any honey.  Their numbers have grown a LOT from the 3 pound package I started with.  They have drawn 8 full combs that are full of brood.  The queen's laying pattern is great.  It is now July 9, 2011 - almost 3 months and they have not stored one bit of honey.  Now I'm concerned that they will not have enough time before winter to store enough honey to last until next spring.   

On a side note, I did discover 3 queen cells yesterday and moved them and the comb of bees to the hive that didn't make it.  This hive does have several bars of nice comb, but no honey either.

Can someone tell me what is going on with these bees?  Am I worried for no reason?

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
Re: Lots of comb - Lots of brood - 3 Queen Cells - No honey
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 09:06:43 am »
I think you should have moved the queen and some brood comb not the cells
If they plan on swarming the old queen will lead the group
If you did it the way I stated they may/should feel they swarmed and your new
Queen will/should take over in your Good hive
I would bet you have or had at least one good flow?? When is your next or
If there is one now they may start to pack away stores soon
If not you may want to consider feeding
Good luck with your TB H's
I have a mini 18 bar and like it a lot gave me almost 100lbs of honey so far this year
but I stacked supers on it lol

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

anything