Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Observation Hive Wood?  (Read 2174 times)

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
Observation Hive Wood?
« on: January 05, 2012, 10:33:28 pm »
I bought the Bon terra hive plans and wondering what type of wood is best,  I was thinking hickery or oak.  Thoughts?
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Observation Hive Wood?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 10:48:22 pm »
I built mine out of black walnut just because I have a good supply of right from the tree that a good friend in Minnesota cut down and had milled. Problem it is pretty heavy to carry in and out of the house. You might want to use a white pine or spruce just because of weight. Oak or hickory will work just fine and look great. If you want it to look really nice, go with the hickory. If you put a clear finish on it, out side only, it will end up with a wide range of colors and really nice grain patterns.
If you are an experienced wood worker, search "Watch me build an observation hive" on this board for a detailed lesson on how to build a really nice table mounted OB hive.
Good Luck. Be sure to post some pictures.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 11:08:13 pm »
I just put hickory hardwood floors in our store,  absolutely beautiful.  Can believe the contrast and grain pattern.  Love it
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:35:55 am »
mine is oak, but it is quite heavy.  you might want to consider where it is going to hang.  your SO will thank you if it matches the other stuff in the room.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 08:04:06 am »
I've made some out of pine, poplar, and oak. Functionally speaking I haven't noticed the difference between the three. Personally I like the look of oak, so that's what my current one is made of.

I don't think you can go wrong with any type of wood.