Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How many frames in the brood nest  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
How many frames in the brood nest
« on: February 04, 2007, 05:02:39 pm »
This particular point has always had me a little confused.  Haven't quite figured it out yet.

In the 10 frame deep brood box, do the bees always keep honey and pollen frames in the outside frame positions?  If so, is this always the case.  Meaning, in for example:  in the first or second chamber, would it ever be 10 frames of brood only, with no reserves stored in there.

It is confusing to me.  What is the "average" number of frames in the brood nest of one box?

I think where the confusion is also coming from is that I wrote on the forum that I had many, many extra frames of pollen and pollen/honey frames left over from last year, being preserved in the freezer.  It was indicated to put the pollen frame beside the brood nest.  How many frames have to be left open for the brood nest?  I don't get it.

Questions overlooked and never thought to bring to the forefront.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: How many frames in the brood nest
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 07:10:05 pm »
>In the 10 frame deep brood box, do the bees always keep honey and pollen frames in the outside frame positions?  If so, is this always the case.

They are bees.  Nothing is "always the case".  Usually yes.

>  Meaning, in for example:  in the first or second chamber, would it ever be 10 frames of brood only, with no reserves stored in there.

Possibly, yes.  But there is usually some around the top and the sides of each frame anyway.

>It is confusing to me.  What is the "average" number of frames in the brood nest of one box?

There is none.  Sometimes a queen lays up about three frames in each of five boxes.  Sometimes she lays all the way across one box.

>I think where the confusion is also coming from is that I wrote on the forum that I had many, many extra frames of pollen and pollen/honey frames left over from last year, being preserved in the freezer.  It was indicated to put the pollen frame beside the brood nest.  How many frames have to be left open for the brood nest?

For every frame of brood they rear they will burn up one frame of that pollen.  It will quickly be open for use as brood.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: How many frames in the brood nest
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 06:29:11 pm »
It has been my experience that a good production queen will lay on 8 out of the 10 frames in a hive, the last frame on each side is pollen and honey stores.  the second frame in is often laid on the inner side with the outside of the frame being pollen and honey.  Every frame has some honey and pollen stored in an arc above the brood cells.  That equates out to 7 full (both sides) frames of brood in a hive body.  With mediums I find that pattern in 3 or 4 boxes.  4 medium boxes with 7 full frames of brood each is the sign of an excellent queen and a very productive hive.  Such a hive, with good forage, can generate 200-300 lbs of honey per year.  That is the goal one should try to achieve.  8-10 medium supers of honey harvest over the summer from such a hive is a good yield. 
But saying all that, honey production is not the reason I keep bees and I have been known to intentionally do things that reduces the honey harvest in order to explore ideas of new equipment or other management variations.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!