Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tonights bee show  (Read 12202 times)

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Tonights bee show
« on: January 08, 2011, 10:31:41 am »
Tonight on A&E, for a show called "Pit Bulls & Parolees" the show (from what I can tell) is based on a swarm of bees that has attached themselves to a house. Since the folks can not afford the $1000 removal fee, they will be having a fundraiser street fair type thing to raise funds.

I have some serious reservations about this show.

* What beekeeper out there is charging $1000 dollars for a removal? Or are these folks pest control folks and not beekeepers?

* How are they going to portray the bees and the dangers to the public?

* What negative crap will we hear in regards to bees, the industry and the environment? I don't like half of the stuff on these channels as they promote some rather far left PETA loving crap sometimes.

While I think some will say that having a show promoting to the public that they should pay $1000 for a removal, or that this is the normal fee, I think the public perception may see it differently. Will the public next time call a beekeeper, or grab the 3 dollar can of raid, when they think it will cost a thousand dollars?

Anyways....lots of questions. It will be interesting how this all plays out on national television.

I hope some watch, and maybe tomorrow, we can discuss what happened.

Here is a trailer about the show tonight....

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/pit-bulls-parolees-behind-scenes/

What say you?
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline PeeVee

• House Bee
Re: Tonights bee show
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 11:18:28 am »
Bjorn,
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't notice on the trailer what time the show will air.
-Paul VanSlyke - Cheers from Deposit,NY

Offline Rosalind

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 11:39:48 am »
Why not email Animal Planet/Discovery and ask these questions? At the very least, let them know that $1000 is not normal, and let them know of any local beeks who would collect a swarm for much less (or for free...in my area, there are beeks jumping at the chance of free bees). They have a Discovery Corporate Relations page, if you scroll all the way down and go to "Corporate > Viewer Relations" at the very bottom right, and there is a link to a form to submit questions/concerns.

I don't have cable (and am not about to get it), can you tell me more about this show? Where is the episode located, do they not have a local bee club or does their state ag dept. not provide contact info for beeks? I know if folks contact my state ag dept., they will be put in touch with either their local club or the extension service, who will hunt up a local guy for them, free of charge. As sorry a state as our media is in, nevertheless, they really don't like being used as a platform for scammers, especially when it is loudly brought to their attention...or to their competitor's attention.

Another option, Discovery Channel, who is broadcasting this show, runs a series of science-y blogs, and you can always comment on the blogs or sometimes email the bloggers about the issue. They have a lot more sway with the network than we would as individuals.
Chickens, turkeys, 2 dogs, 3 cats, lots and lots of bees!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 11:53:09 am »
I've checked the listing on both A&E and discovery, but it isn't on either on my dish network.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 12:00:49 pm »
OK. I found it on animal planet starting at 9:00 PM.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 12:01:42 pm »
I would most assuredly say those people in the bee suits were not beeks, just some borrowed suits for the drama of the camera. Why did that one fella have a towel wrapped around his neck and head.

I am going to try and watch this even though I know it will be disappointing.

A $1,000 to pull a swarm off of the side of a house, sign me up for a couple a week anyway.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 12:10:41 pm »
Rosiland,
I'm not contacting anyone until I see the show. And as for your other comments and questions, until I see what the show is about, all that is on hold. I think you have good comments, but are more applicable after the show airs.

I mentioned some questions that I will be looking for the answers tonight.

The show is based on the owners (a pit bull rescue operation? - I never seen the show before) not having the funds, then needing to have a street fair of sorts to raise public funds to pay off the beekeepers for their service. Which was stated as $1000  :shock:

I'm hoping lots of beekeepers see the show, and if needed, will respond as you suggest.

The show on my cable network is scheduled for 10pm tonight, on A&E.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 12:23:54 pm »
It is now animal plant 1-8-11 9P.M. EST out of Boston MA.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 12:34:12 pm »
yep it is on animal planet at 10:00, the one at 9:00 is an older show.

BJ where did you get the $1000 removal fee from, did not see it anywhere.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 12:50:32 pm »
yep it is on animal planet at 10:00, the one at 9:00 is an older show.

BJ where did you get the $1000 removal fee from, did not see it anywhere.

The trailer they use on the tv commercials advertising the show, is different than the one I listed above. They clearly show a street fair with a dunking machine, etc., all set up to raise funds and state they needed to raise funds to cover the 1000 dollar bee removal fee.

I've seen it several times now. I think my kids were watching "Billy the exterminator" or something....  :lau:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 01:04:48 pm »
Just DVR'd it thanks for the heads-up.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 02:46:31 pm »
So I go to the A&E website and join their discussion forum.

I click on the first thread.....AND BLAM!

Security warnings start popping up on my computor from my own security systems. It does not even do what sometimes it suggests like "The program or page you want to display "may" pose a risk....blah, blah, blah.

It literally says "STOP! DO NOT PROCEED.THIS SITE IS A SECURITY RISK!"

Anyway....they have dedicated forums for individual shows. But not one for "Pitbulls & Parollees".

Oh well......  :'(
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 03:10:16 pm »
It is now animal plant 1-8-11 9P.M. EST out of Boston MA.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)

It is on 3 times today "Pitbulls & Parollees". 9PM 10PM 11PM  :? bees :?

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 04:28:52 pm »
Bjorn, you've basically expressed a lot of the main reasons I'd like a month in the driver's seat of the syfy channel. The network has tremendous potential to hit home runs two or three times a day, but they air as much garbage as gold.
Looks like the show is just more garbage wasting a broadcast frequency.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 04:38:13 pm »
errrr, this is as artificial a situation as you can imagine:

they need $1000 to pay for the removal...so the production company spends $5000 filming a yardsale to pay for it.  i'd give good odds there is a queen in a cage in the middle of the swarm.

deknow

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 08:48:58 pm »
I have checked Pit bull and Paroles on Animal Channel None say anything about the bees,
Do you have any more info
I have all 3 set to record  but if its a different channel ?? or time the
Pit bull and paroles is on throughout the night

Thanks
Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 08:55:20 pm »
I bet the swarm moved into the walls of the house.   $1000 is opening up the walls and putting everything back to fixing it right (union labor).   

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 09:45:28 pm »
I bet I know why the 1000 bux! Cuz they get to be part of the TV show and want to be paid for their performance!

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 11:48:01 pm »
I have done more difficult cut outs than that for way  WAY  cheaper. They only pulled one board off of the wall and nailed it back on. I wonder if they saved any of the brood?

Kind of disappointing, had rather watch JP and Schawee anyday.

At least the guy was a beek and not the bug spray hack, he even has a website up and running.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 12:15:48 am »
I'd have to say about a 3 hour job, if that.

$333.33 dollars per hour.

Of course, I think I counted three beekeepers. So maybe it's like 111.11 per hour per beekeeper.

Must be a California thing. Like a blond joke. How many beekeepers does it take to hold a bee vac?   

For one board removed and sucking up some bees, that's a good paying job.

Not sure if the beekeeper was over charging, or the girls were idiots. Guess I'm just disappointed. Like the mother said "A thousand dollars, to suck up some bees!"

I hope when we see people spraying bees, we should at least realize that perhaps they did in fact call a beekeeper, and sprayed them after they were quoted a thousand dollar estimate.

And I wonder how many on this forum (if not a beekeeper) would pay the thousand dollars, or would of sprayed them.  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

anything