Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Protective suits  (Read 11490 times)

Offline Aquila

• New Bee
Protective suits
« on: October 28, 2009, 07:51:44 pm »
Hello
I would like to get opinions of professionals about protective suits that I can buy in the USA.
Who can recommend the best model and mark? What is better to buy?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Protective suits
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 05:25:22 pm »
The best, if you ever have to face hot weather, is the Ultra Breeze or the Golden Bee Products (not the one you find on the internet).  If heat isn't an issue, most are ok, but I like the English hood as it's easy to fold up and haul around.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Aquila

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 09:55:54 pm »
OK as I have got  Ultra Breeze is the best one. But I am a littele concerned   about the view  angle from this kind of veil and   face safety. I have heard that  face may be to close to mask.

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 10:25:35 pm »
I've got a Mann Lake  Honeymaker suit and it has the same kind of veil.  After having a veil that didn't directly attach to the suit previously, I really like this style.  I found that without a tight closure the bees will find a way inside.  The veil screen is a bit close to the face, but just be careful and make sure you don't let it rest on your nose or chin (I've been stung both places through the veil when I didn't realize they were touching)  But the added comfort of being "bee tight" makes it worth while.

Offline Aquila

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 11:47:37 pm »
This is a thing I've told about. I heard from colleagues that it is necessary to have baseball heat under this kind of hood. In this case a mask will not touch the face.
In a same time it is possible to use a different kind of veils that does not have such problem and in a same time which are connect with suit by zipper   and bees can’t go under it.
Which suits with this kind of veils are better on American market?
Look I am not on south but it is important to have good ventilation also.  My other requirements are natural material, machine washing, good protection, comfort, good view from inside because I have glasses and reasonable price and a long period of using without problems.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 11:05:58 am »
If I may; I'm sure you have probably checked these out, if not might give you a idea of some of the types.

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/ListProduct.asp?idCategory=4

Personelly I just use a home made veil & a cowboy hat,j ust don't like them flying in my face, here's a pic. of me & my helper with our homemade veils and his dad using my Mann-Lake suit, 85 F.plus,it's to hot for me to wear it.

Bee-Bop

" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 08:54:26 pm »
I have never been stung on the face wearing any english hood jacket.  The Ultra Breeze hood is not touching my face at all.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 09:59:30 pm »
mine does not touch my face. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Doby45

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 12:57:58 am »
I also use the "HoneyMaker" suit and wear a ballcap, but I normally wear a ballcap anyway..  I find that style hood to be MUCH better than the round type that zips to the suit.  I learned that lesson in a crash course of moving about 1000 hives..

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 06:19:51 am »
I like the look of the homemade you are wearing Bee-Bop. When are you going into production?
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline John Lee Pettimore

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 10:33:20 am »
I've been using the Beek SuitTM for the past couple of years. I like it pretty well. The tyvek is much thinner cooler than cotton or nylon, but you do need to be careful not to catch it on anything as it isn't as sturdy. Trade offs...

http://cinsage.com/BeeSuit/Default.htm
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 11:13:45 am »
I have the Ultra Breeze and the mesh never touches my face, I have never heard anyone complain about that before.

Offline magnet-man

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • New Bee
    • Honeymoon Apiaries
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 04:42:26 pm »
As a general rule people that get stung on the face with the english or fencing style hood are using a suit where the hood is too small from front to back. I originally used a Mann Lake economy jacket as a guide and that jacket's hood is way too small and you will get stung. The hood needs to be long enough ,deep, so the hood falls forward. To see an extreme  eample look at the BJ Sherriff suit. The Ultra Breeze falls in between these two and I have only had one person recently comment they got stung on the chin. In the interest of full disclosure I am the manufacturer of the Ultra Breeze.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 10:14:16 pm »
anyone ever use one of these

http://www.bugbaffler.com/
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2009, 11:06:11 am »
>anyone ever use one of these

Yes.  Not sting proof by any means, but nice and light and cheap.  If you wear it without a shirt on a hot day with a hot hive, you'll get stung pretty badly.  I love the veils as they fit in my pocket and are handy for trips and bee meetings.  I have about 20 of them for the bee club meetings at my house so people will have veils.
-------------------

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 04:26:05 am »
anyone ever use one of these

http://www.bugbaffler.com/

TwT i hadn't seen them until this year's Farmer's Almanac.  I had to have it cause it looks so much cooler then my Dadant suit.  I also ordered one of those lottery good luck charms.  I wonder which one is gonna work better?  lol   :-D  and before anybody says anything i'm joking i didn't order eigther one yet lol.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 12:21:23 pm »
How about the Tyvek disposable hazmat suits or industrial coveralls like they sell in Gempler's for about $6.50 each?  Will those hold up? At that price, I can afford a few every season! :-D

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 12:42:22 pm »
i have not found a full suit to be needed.  since i am so sensitive to stings, i'd sure wear one if i needed it!  the jacket with attached hood has done fine for me.  the one exception would have been doing a cutout in a confined space.  even that would have been ok if i'd tucked in my shirt :-)

consider your weather as you make your decision about what to wear.  anything that covers you is probably enough.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 08:13:23 am »
How about the Tyvek disposable hazmat suits or industrial coveralls like they sell in Gempler's for about $6.50 each?  Will those hold up? At that price, I can afford a few every season! :-D
Yes, they work but they don't breathe and you'll roast.

For years I just wore old white shirts from the resale shop with a helmet & veil, but I kept a couple tyvek suits for those days when the girls are really cranky. The tyvek suits convinced me to buy myself an UltraBreeze this Christmas!

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 09:34:02 am »
I have used the full suit with a pit helmet in the past.  But I prefer just a pit helmet and a tie-down veil.  Haven't had any problem with bees getting inside either.  At least up to this point!

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.