Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees and their warnings.  (Read 3126 times)

Offline nadine_9454

• New Bee
Bees and their warnings.
« on: June 03, 2015, 03:48:44 pm »
Hello beekeepers,

I'm working on my thesis on the human-animal relationship between bees and beekeepers and am writing a little section on bees and their warnings. I feel like most would agree that bees are reluctant to sting because they'll die so they try to warn you by doing things like bumping whatever's bothering them. I've also had bees nibble one me. I'm curious if the nibbling is a warning or if they're just checking me out. Any thoughts on this?

Sincerely,
Nadine Armstrong
Nadine

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: Bees and their warnings.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 03:58:05 pm »
Checking you out and liking minerals on skin.... Head butting and banana smell pheromone is a warning. IMHO
John 3:16

Offline nadine_9454

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 04:17:39 pm »
Thnks. IMHO?

NA
Nadine

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 04:51:39 pm »
In my humble opinion
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 05:55:07 pm »
How do they know they'll die if they sting you?  Is that taught in bee school kindergarten?  I think they are just basically gentle creatures, for the most part, though I've had some that attack stinger first immediately upon my appearance.

I think the idea that they hesitate to attack because they know they'll die is anthropomorphication.  They will do whatever they think is necessary to defend the hive.  Depends on their mood and many other things.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 01:15:59 pm »
I think they know they will die. Other than when you are in the hive or are moving towards it, They usually will head but and harass you to try to get you to get away and if you slowly turn and walk away they will usually leave after a certain distance. They are born with a certain amount of information stored in their brains, we call it instinct. They know.
Nibbling is collecting salts as was mentioned, not a warning.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 01:41:52 pm »
There's really no way to prove this either way.  It's just a matter of conjecture or belief.  I don't believe honeybees have awareness of self, but act from instinct, which is different from conscious thought.  Their prime directive is protection of the hive, so if they sense the hive is threatened, they buzz you, head butt you, and if those actions fail to drive you off, they sting, leaving a pheromone that prompts others to sting. 

So, Jim, we'll just have to agree to disagree, I guess.  I hope no one took my previous post to mean Ithought I knew the answer.  I just have doubts.

But how do we explain really "hot" bees that are abnormally defensive of the hive, such as the Africanized bee? 

Whatever -- good luck on your thesis, Nadine.  I think we'd all like to read it (and I understand warning behavior is only part of what you're working on). 

Gary
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 02:01:57 pm »
I feel like most would agree that bees are reluctant to sting because they'll die so they try to warn you by doing things like bumping whatever's bothering them.

Some do, some don't.  If your behaviour annoys them, some will come barrelling straight out of the entrance and plant one on an eyebrow or somewhere near to the hairline - no messing about with any warning there ...

A lot depends on their genetics - German/British Black bees are famous for that kind of behaviour, especially when crossed with Carnica.  Pure Carnica (Carniolan) bees are pussy-cats, pure-bred AMM are fairly tame - it's the 'hot' F2 crosses between them which are the ones to look out for.

It also depends on the status of the hive - a colony which is normally 'well-behaved' (from a beekeeper's point of view) can suddenly turn very nasty should they become queenless.

LJ
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 06:34:35 pm by little john »
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 04:25:01 pm »
Pulling hair is one of their warnings.  They may land on your arm and pull the hair there or get into the hair on your head.  My guess is that is what you are experiencing but they can also bite somewhat (not much) and that is also a warning.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline drjeseuss

• House Bee
  • The bees know better...
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 01:36:03 pm »
regarding stinging...  I've read that honeybees can sting a number of opponents without death.  Their barbs happen to stick in us quite well, while releasing from other targets.  It stands to reason the bee may not know the difference between the two...  or maybe somehow they do know.  I bee that stings you and dies may have stung a number of other things in life and not died.

as for biting...  I read a study a while back that when bees bite, they release a chemical somewhat like an anesthetic.  It is believed in hygenic bees for example, they are biting and paralyzing mites which prevents them from grabing a new host as they fall through the hive.  By the time they regain movement they've been ejected.  This in mind, maybe the bees are biting you in an attempt to immobilize you.
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
-Proverbs 16:24

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 10:55:53 pm »
Pretty interesting back and forths between folks. It  makes you wonder though, if they didn't know they'd die wouldn't they pop you right off the bat? The way the venom sack works makes me wonder if they aren't aware also. So I have to agree to agree I don't know.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Roborep1

• New Bee
Bees and their warnings.
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 03:06:52 pm »
What is the head butting you refer to? My Carni are great except in the fall and then you pop a box and it's straight for the face and hands. They do not mess around in fall. Though most strong hives behave this way come fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 03:51:33 pm »
>What is the head butting you refer to?

Don't know what else to call it.  They butt you in the head and follow you while doing so.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline nadine_9454

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 01:37:56 pm »
Thank you for the feedback. Great stuff. Just asking, is it okay if I quote you in my thesis anonymously? I'm going to post more questions as I write my thesis and would love feedback.

Nadine
Nadine

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 01:40:30 pm »
>What is the head butting you refer to?

If you are wearing a veil they are bouncing off the veil...
-------------------

Offline nadine_9454

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 05:28:56 pm »
I usually don't wear a veil. I just make sure all my hair is pulled back and covered.
Nadine

anything