Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: comb building in the feeder  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Aaron B

• New Bee
comb building in the feeder
« on: May 14, 2006, 11:16:12 pm »
I have a standard top feeder that I gotfrom ruhl bee supply here in oregon. IT goes on top of the brood chamber it is split into two side on each side there is a peice of wood sloping down to let the bee feed with out drowning.I don't know the nameof the feeder but that is what it looks like. I amm having problems  the bees building comb in the feeder. Something about a screen was mentioned but amunsure what was meant. Someone else also said, that meant that the queen was up there(not good) . I lifted the feeder lid today and there was stilla significantcluster ofbees and bees building comb. The feeder was empty. There are many things flowering here now and the bees are coming in with lots of pollen and nectar. I feed them severalquarts for the first week I have had them. Is it safe to let themfend for themselves asfaras food. If the queen is in the feeder what is the best way to her into the brood chamber. If it is alright to stop feeding I'll just take off the feeder. Is there a certain amount of food they need for the eggs ect. ? I don'twant wasted effort fromthe bees .  Any help is appreciated.thanks
Aaron B

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 03:12:37 am »
I read your earlier posting but didn't reply because it looked like you were getting good advice.  The feeder type is called a Miller Feeder, of which there are several variations and improvments.  A screen (regular door screen) is often used to keep the bees out of the feeder but still allowing them access to the syrup alone the area of the screen.
For a better understanding of what I mean go to  http://beesource.com or visit the online catalogs of Dadant & Sons, Mann Lake Ltd, Betterbee, etc., and study the illustrations. Just type in each name as one word in small letters and add .com in the address bar i.e. http://bee-commerce.com.
How are the bees doing below the feeder?  Have you checked?  At this stage I would examine the rest of the hive, If there is comb and eggs and/or brood I recommend shaking the bees free of the feeder and maybe adding another hive body and 86ing the feeder.
Check out some of the other posting about feeding on the board, regardless of the last posting date.
contact your local county Extension Agent for the Beekeeper closest to you and beg him to be your mentor.  Here in Washington State every hive in each county has to be register with the Extension Agent so he/she will have the resources to tell you where to get help--also ask for the name and contact number for the local beekeepers association.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 08:27:13 am »
>I don't know the nameof the feeder but that is what it looks like.

As mentioned it's a variation on a miller feeder.

> I amm having problems the bees building comb in the feeder.

Like this?

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/BroodNestInFeeder.JPG

> Something about a screen was mentioned but amunsure what was meant.

If you take some #8 hardware cloth and cut and bend it to make something between a 1/4" and 3/8" space for the bees to come up and over and down tot he syrup (shaped like a "U") and run it all the way to the botom of the feeder so the bees can only climb down to the syrup but they cannot get into the feeder you will solve the problem in the long run.    

> Someone else also said, that meant that the queen was up there(not good) .

Maybe.  I would take the feeder off and set it aside.  In a short time it will either have cleared of most of the bees or there will be the same number of bees.  If it doesn't clear in 30 minutes or so, I'd say there's brood in there, and possibly a queen.  If the bees leave you can just harvest the honey (crush and strain).  If the bees don't leave, then do a careful cut out. and harvest the honey and tie the brood into empty frames. When you are done, remove the feeder.

> If the queen is in the feeder what is the best way to her into the brood chamber.

Another trick would be to flip the feeder upside down and put it on the bottom.  The queen won't like laying in the downward sloped cells and she will likely move up.  If not now, she will run out of room.  After the brood has emerged you can harvest the comb and remove the feeder.

> If it is alright to stop feeding I'll just take off the feeder.

Anytime there is nectar flowing it's alright to stop feeding.

> Is there a certain amount of food they need for the eggs ect. ?

Pollen and nectar.

> I don'twant wasted effort fromthe bees .

They've already wasted it. :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Aaron B

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 04:51:47 pm »
Yep that willdo it. Thanks both for the information. I know of two keepers in the area and will get in touch both of them for advice. thanks for the advice and will keep you posted.
 Aaron B

Offline Aaron B

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 11:00:04 pm »
Yup that worked/\ they all flewin to the hive it was only pollen in the comb and not much,yum. The size of the comb looked like alldrone size inthe feeder. in the box mostly worker size.thanks.