Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Bee  (Read 3163 times)

Offline zzen01

• House Bee
New Bee
« on: January 21, 2008, 10:12:26 pm »
I am planning on getting into Beekeeping this Spring/Summer. Any advice for me? I mean is there any type/breed of bee that is better that others.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: New Bee
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 10:15:50 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 11:06:23 pm »
I am planning on getting into Beekeeping this Spring/Summer. Any advice for me? I mean is there any type/breed of bee that is better that others.

the very best kind of bee is the ones in your hives.  I find bees belonging to anybody else worthless to me.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 11:46:48 pm »
Here is a little article I found about the breeds of bees. I dont know if it will help but there is some good info in it.

http://www.tnbeekeepers.org/pubs/The%20Best%20Bee.pdf

By the way I had posted a similar document a long time ago but it had a grade scale, meaning 1-3,  on it Itilian/Russian/carnolian. Does anyone remember where I put it. I must have deleted it from my computer.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 11:52:16 pm »
If you go to your profile page. Look to the left side of the page you will see a sign that says "Show post" click on that and it will bring up every post you made.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 12:02:38 am »
zzen01, welcome to our forum.  Being new to the bees, you will find this place to be very informative, you will have wonderful answers to any questions that you may want to ask, and ask anything you chose, never feel a question does not deserve an answer, they all do.  Welcome, have an awesome day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 06:57:51 am »
Shawn, I beleive this is the topic you mentioned?
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=11228.0

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 07:47:51 am »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 09:10:09 am »
If I was in your location, I'd check and see if Michael Bush was selling any bees! Regardless, my first choice for type of bee would be "local bees", specifically, bees that are raised from survivor stocks in your particular area. I also recommend getting involved with local beeks:
http://nebraskabeekeepers.org/about.asp
Although online forums such as this are great sources of info, much of beekeeping is local, and nothing beats having a nearby mentor.

Good luck!

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 09:40:51 am »
I thought we were to LOVE all Honeybees regardless what they are  ;) :-D

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 10:46:15 am »
Ken, nice of you to look up that post for Shawn, yea!!!  Have an awesome day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 01:06:50 pm »
Zzen01,

Sorry I took over your post. Thanks everyone for the info.

anything