Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Instant sting first aid  (Read 4680 times)

Offline JKJ

• New Bee
Instant sting first aid
« on: June 16, 2006, 12:00:01 am »
In reading about bee stings in another thread, I wondered if a sting suction device has been mentioned here.  It's called "The Extractor" and instantly takes most of the pain from a sting and prevents most of the swelling.  If you are one of those people who enjoy bee stings, skip to the next message now! :)

The Extractor is a suction device that will pull the venom out of the sting, whether bee, yellowjacket, or even mosquitoe.  I am allergic to yellowjacket stings - one on my hand made my entire arm swell up all the way to my shoulder.   But when I quickly applied suction to other yellowjacket stings I have not had more than a small 2-inch diameter swelling.  My wife once got a very painful sting on her hand and said the suction took the pain away instantly and she had no swelling.  It also removes itching and swelling from mosquitoe bites.  I found it works with ticks and seed ticks as well, darn their microscopic hides.

I keep one of these little suction devices on my tractor, in the car, in the house, in the barn, and in the bee kit.  I give them to friends as presents - great for parents of small children.

I've always bought these at WalMart in the camping section for $11-$12, but if you want to pay more you can get one from Amazon.com: The Extractor  

The kit includes different sizes of suction cups, a razor to remove hair, and some first aid wipes.  It also claims to be good for snake bites, but I haven't tested that!

JKJ
John K Jordan in East TN

Offline kensfarm

• House Bee
Instant sting first aid
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 10:53:03 am »
The beekeepers I bought my nucs from said try putting a sliced onion on your sting area..  I should've tried it the other day when I got stung behind my left ear.. gave me a headache right away.

Offline rsilver000

• House Bee
Instant sting first aid
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 05:30:18 pm »
I really think the best thing to do is remove the stinger as soon as you can.  The faster it is out, the less poison that is pumped into your system.  The mechanical extracter will only delay things a bit.  It is the venom that causes the reaction, no amount of suction is going to get that out of your skin in time to prevent the mast cells in the skin from releasing vasoactive amines and causing a localized reaction.
Rob
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Instant sting first aid
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 05:57:00 pm »
my wife is a nurse, stings don't bother me to much but some spots are sensitive so she got this for her and the kids for any stings but I have tried it and it works very well....

http://www.james-alexander.com/products/mcsting.html
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline melliphile

• House Bee
Instant sting first aid
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 07:27:55 pm »
Stings get such a bad rap, don't they?  Most people are probably better off getting stung now and again.    But really, the pain(even with a full dose)lasts no more than 30 seconds.  Then it feels hot and throbby, but it's not really all that painful anymore.  By the time you find , open and administer whatever , the worst is over.  What's all the buzz?  If you're truly allergic, then you should have an epi-pen.  I keep one in my tool box and one at my apiary.  Never had to use them, but everyone around knows how (just in case).
"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." -Plato

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Instant sting first aid
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 08:22:19 pm »
I've tried most everything and nothing comes close to plantain.

http://weeds.cropsci.uiuc.edu/images/Broadleafplantain/images/broadleaf%20plantain.jpg

Crush it and put it on a sting.  It's likely growing in your yard where the dirt id packed from people walking.

If you can't find any platain, my next favortie treatments are (in order of efficacy) tobacco poltice, crushed asprin poltice, baking soda poltice, meat tenderizer poltice, salt poltice.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline joecat

• New Bee
Instant sting first aid
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 08:32:53 pm »
I always put a drop or 2 of honey on the sting area.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Instant sting first aid
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 08:13:20 pm »
We have something called rattlesnake plantain in north Georgia - wonder if that would have the same effect?

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/wildflowers/goodyera_pubescens.html

Linda T in Atlanta but wishing I were somewhere cooler and/or rainy

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Instant sting first aid
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 11:36:36 pm »
It appears to be a different variety of the same plant.  I've never used that variety but I'd guess it would work.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline ctsoth

• House Bee
Instant sting first aid
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 01:31:52 pm »
I scream like a little girl then I shrug...  Depending on where I get stung I can't feel it, so I don't so much care...

Offline shado_knight

• New Bee
Instant sting first aid
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 08:59:08 am »
A wet teabag works wonders. The tannin in the tea will cause a drying action and soothes the sting area. It can help prevent swelling of the sting area as well. At least it has always worked for me.  :D

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Instant sting first aid
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 04:38:13 pm »
A wide collection of naughty words are very efficient against bee stings up to 5 stings.

Car's rear mirror is often usefull when I try to locate did I got  sting way from my face.

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Instant sting first aid
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2006, 05:27:11 pm »
Quote from: Finsky
A wide collection of naughty words are very efficient against bee stings up to 5 stings.

I agree Finsky, after 5 though, you must hop up and down while applying the naughty words!! :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson