Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hey JP what do you think of this swarm  (Read 3909 times)

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
Hey JP what do you think of this swarm
« on: November 26, 2009, 06:00:57 am »
This is a swarm that landed in my mandarin tree this afternoon. It is the 4th from my hives that landed there this season.. so you could say that the tree is a great swarm trap. I managed to get the girls into a styrofoam brocolli box along with a couple of frames with starter strips. By late afternoon there were thousands hanging from the top of the frames and the lid. I think that there are too many for a nuc and super.

Have to make a new box tomorrow

It hung down about 2' and was about 1' wide and 6" thick.. a shxt load of bees in anyone's language

Mick

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Re: Hey JP what do you think of this swarm
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 08:46:19 am »
NICE  :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 09:35:18 am »
That thing excites me, that's what I think Mick! A swarm that size should be a dandy producer for you Mick. Great catch!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 10:08:25 pm »
Pity the swarm came at the cost of one of your hives and not another source. ;)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 10:11:10 pm »
swarms landing in the same spot are not so uncommon.  i always tell people to watch for more.  i have picked up swarms and had people tell me that there have been swarms in that tree/whatever, before.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 11:05:25 pm »
Mick. I don't know what breed of bees you are rasing down under but my god they are swarmy girls. I think they are looking for a bigger castle. :idunno:

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 12:34:38 am »
I have to admit that they seem to be extremely ungrateful of the digs they have been given

Mick

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 12:59:53 pm »
Ok, so that was an abscond, 'eh Mick? You better tighten up the hatches on your castles. Have your bees and Bud's been visiting? You know how Bud's bees are, swarm out on ya in a second!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 01:53:14 pm »
swarms landing in the same spot are not so uncommon.  i always tell people to watch for more.  i have picked up swarms and had people tell me that there have been swarms in that tree/whatever, before.

I picked up several swarms last year from the same tree. There was a commercial bee yard on the edge of a field/woods. Out of all the trees, they preferred one over others.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 04:23:04 pm »
Ok, so that was an abscond, 'eh Mick? You better tighten up the hatches on your castles. Have your bees and Bud's been visiting? You know how Bud's bees are, swarm out on ya in a second!

...JP

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say they were swarming. There are a whole heap left in the hive and they aren't bearding as much so I am guessing they thought themselves better off in larger housing. I suppose that you read the recent reports that Aussies now have the biggest houses in the WHOLE world and I thought that record went with the Texans who I believed had the biggest of everything. :-D

Mick

anything