Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Plasticell foundation question  (Read 10938 times)

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
Plasticell foundation question
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:54:16 pm »
Why are two corners of plasticell foundation perforated? Do you break the corners off? Just curious.
"Power, especially overgrown power, whets the ambition and sets all the wits to work to enlarge it. Therefore, encroachments on peoples liberties are not generally made all at once, but so gradually as hardly to be perceived by the less watchful; and all plastered over, it may be, with such plausible pretenses, that before they are aware of the snare, they are taken and can not disentangle themselves."

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Plasticell foundation question
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 12:56:50 am »
Yes, the idea is to allow bees to get in there and start building at the gap, but some break them off some don't. I only use plasticell (waxed) in my honey supers.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 01:03:52 am »
Thanks. I thought it might be so they can move back and forth between sides.???
"Power, especially overgrown power, whets the ambition and sets all the wits to work to enlarge it. Therefore, encroachments on peoples liberties are not generally made all at once, but so gradually as hardly to be perceived by the less watchful; and all plastered over, it may be, with such plausible pretenses, that before they are aware of the snare, they are taken and can not disentangle themselves."

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 03:27:46 am »
Yes Bobb, the bees like to move thru the holes in the corners. Beeks don't like them doing that because of less honey storage, less money.

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 11:54:48 pm »
Thanks.

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

Offline bhfury

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 09:16:11 pm »
OK, so if you break the perforated corners off, do you orientate facing up towards the top bar or down towards the bottom bar?

Greg Ramalho,
Farmington NM

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 09:57:02 pm »
OK, so if you break the perforated corners off, do you orientate facing up towards the top bar or down towards the bottom bar?

Greg Ramalho,
Farmington NM

Bees build from the top bar down so I would leave the opening at the top.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 10:32:51 pm »
I have seen some recent pictures and they had the corners removed at the bottom??? Bees can be so confusing.....

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 12:00:58 am »
the broken out corners go to the bottom of the frame.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 10:41:42 am »
Boy, I'm batting a thousand on this post, haha, good thing you got Ray to set things straight. Now this is a fact I can take credit saying, some people break em out some don't.

I don't know that it really makes that much of a difference in the scheme of things. What ya say Ray? ;)

...JP

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 01:31:20 pm »
ya, it don't make much difference. I've got some that don't have the corners perforated so they are solid. The bees seem to do just fine. They can go under the frame as well as thru the little hole. I think they'd probably prefer the little hole, but what do I know, I'm not a bee!

Offline bhfury

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 02:05:22 pm »
Well, since I've started putting these frames in, I've got 4 boxes completed none of those will have the corners broke off, unless... I take may drumel tool and cut them out...that might be a thought...I'll try that!!  :lol:

Offline bhfury

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 03:46:25 pm »
Bob,

you have some email...

Greg

Offline TheGrizz

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 09:36:33 pm »
Newbie here.
I used Plastic frames and foundation for my two new hives.  A total disaster.  They built between the frames and not ON the foundation.
I lost one hive this year.  No signs of 'obvious' cause.
I built a bunch of frames today (wood and wax foundation) and it was actually fun.
I get a new package of bees this sunday and look forward to comparing the plastic frame/foundation hive to the wood frame/wax foundation hive.
Bennett Colorado
Shoot safe, shoot often

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 10:59:42 pm »
I think you will be much happier with wood and wax.  Just remember to keep the frames tight against each other and leave any extra space split between the outside frames and hive body.

Good luck...

rob....
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 11:04:22 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything