Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trap outs  (Read 947 times)

Offline Blacksheep

• House Bee
  • william e smith
Trap outs
« on: April 02, 2015, 10:30:34 am »
Well I have been trying to trap out a large hive of bees but I haven't had much luck!First they are in a place where it is impossible to seal off the cone and they keep getting back in the hive.I put a trap out box close with a frame of brood and a Queen cell attached but due to lack of bee numbers in the box a cold snap done the queen in.
So I am letting them rest till after East and then will do a cut out to get the Queen.I have a hive that is Queenless and they are down in numbers as well so I might lose them. The weather has really been hard on the bees this year seems like a lot of losses and in my hive no queen or drones to breed even if I had one.
I plane on a doing a cut off on the hive I have been trying to trap out so I can get the queen.They are in a old 2 story colonial style house and between the  floor of the second story proch and ceiling on the first story going to be a job either way but is a large colony of bees and has been there for several years.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
Re: Trap outs
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 10:37:50 am »
Yeah,, if they can find other entrances/exits a trap out wont work.  Hope the cut out goes well, get some pictures!
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Trap outs
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 01:15:13 pm »
>Well I have been trying to trap out a large hive of bees but I haven't had much luck!First they are in a place where it is impossible to seal off the cone and they keep getting back in the hive.

If it is impossible, then you will never be able to trap them out.

>I put a trap out box close with a frame of brood and a Queen cell attached but due to lack of bee numbers in the box a cold snap done the queen in.
So I am letting them rest till after East and then will do a cut out to get the Queen.

That is usually best if you can.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin