Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: slat racks  (Read 2263 times)

Offline rast

• Field Bee
slat racks
« on: September 06, 2008, 12:18:52 pm »
 Are slat racks less efficient at creating a dead air space if the racks run parallel to the frames instead of 90 degrees to them? Just seems to me that debris, mites, etc would be more prone to fall through if they were parallel to the frames.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: slat racks
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 01:11:17 pm »
>Are slat racks less efficient at creating a dead air space if the racks run parallel to the frames instead of 90 degrees to them? Just seems to me that debris, mites, etc would be more prone to fall through if they were parallel to the frames.

I have some of each and don't notice any difference in any way.  IMO, it really doesn't matter.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: slat racks
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 12:10:48 am »
Are slat racks less efficient at creating a dead air space if the racks run parallel to the frames instead of 90 degrees to them? Just seems to me that debris, mites, etc would be more prone to fall through if they were parallel to the frames.

I prefer the slats run the same way as the frames.  Yes it does create a dead air space between broodbox and bottom board that acts as insulation.
The slats I designed uses dowling instead of flat stock for the slats which allows more bees to cling to the slat and do useful work and helps mites, wax debris, etc, fall out of the hive.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything