Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: solitary bees  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
solitary bees
« on: April 27, 2007, 08:04:38 pm »
i've said it before, i'm starting to love ALL the bees, so...i made quite a home for mason bees as well as for the bumble bees. well bumble bee nests were a failiure, mason bee nesting site...FAILIURE!!! this darn creatures just won't listen to me.
BUT, the 6mm hose i put into my hives for ventialtion purpuses are just...just soooo tempting to them, the second one of that holes get's "unattended" by my bees it gets filled!
so i even arranged a few 6mm hoses around my hives, guess what? you're right they didn't like them, EXCEPT for one, here's the picture
(hehe, hell of a reading for one lousy pic huh= :-P)

checked the larvae today and they're dgrowing nicely

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: solitary bees
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 01:07:02 pm »
Neat pic, Mici. So they lay their eggs and then leave?  What if the deeper ones hatch out first - they have to wait in line for their siblings?  :lol:

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 01:29:03 pm »
Looks like they are getting more to the Larvae stage now... not so much egg's.

Really neat. Ive been wanting to get a Paper Wasp nest in a tall CD case thing. would be really cool. But it wouldn't happen My mom wouldn't agree on how cool it is.
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 03:59:10 pm »
jep nepethes, those are larvaes already.

from what i've read, they develope to the same stage this year then they pupaet, and next year they actually start at the same point, but since the first is closer to the outside world, thus is the first to feel it's getting warm so gets out first without delaying his sisters/brothers