Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Grafted Tomatoes  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Humanbeeing

• House Bee
Grafted Tomatoes
« on: March 07, 2011, 10:22:50 pm »
I was wondering if anyone here grafts heirloom tomatoes to disease resistant root stock? If there is, could you give me some pointers as to the yeild compared to not grafting? Is it worth the price of the Maxifort F1 seeds and silicone grafting clips? I need a few hundred pounds of "Mators" this year and was wondering if that is the way to go?
Thank you
HELP! I accidently used Drone eggs with the Hopkins method and I got Drag Queens!!!

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
Re: Grafted Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:35:48 pm »
I grow quite a few heirloom tomatoes.  I haven't had a problem with disease.

What tomato disease are you trying to get resistance to?

Is it worth the price of the Maxifort F1 seeds and silicone grafting clips?

Maxifort F1 are not heirloom tomatoes.  F1 indicates they are hybrids.

I need a few hundred pounds of "Mators" this year and was wondering if that is the way to go?

Unless you are growing cherry or grape tomatoes, a few hundred pounds will not require very many plants.  20-30 pounds of tomatoes per plant is pretty common in my garden.

If I was worried about disease, I would just plant tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets with sterile soil.  It's easy to propagate tomatoes as cuttings root down easily if you need more plants and only have a few seeds.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 12:30:17 am »
I do a lot of cuttings in an intermittent mist propagator, but I have to admit I’ve never heard of grafting non woody vegetable plants before.  I googled it and learned something new, thanks Humanbeeing!  I might just have to experiment a bit more this summer.

Offline Humanbeeing

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 09:03:39 pm »
 I will try it and see what happens.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 10:52:49 pm by Humanbeeing »
HELP! I accidently used Drone eggs with the Hopkins method and I got Drag Queens!!!