Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dog training....  (Read 4373 times)

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
Dog training....
« on: March 04, 2009, 07:22:35 pm »
okay, I have a 2-3 year old border collie and would like to be able to teach her some things so I can take her hunting.  First off, what all does she need to learn.  Second, any suggestions on the best way to do those things.  Right now she has an addiction to rolling rocks.  I think I first need to get her away from doing that.
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Dog training....
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 07:52:05 pm »
Collies are herd dogs aren't they  :?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline cundald

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 08:16:14 pm »
The first thing I would do is, go to your local PetMart or Petco and get a book on dog training. 
Make a list of what you want she to learn.

The book will most likely instruct you to breakdown the skill into small steps.
for example you want her to rollover:

Teach her to sit,
     then lay-down,
          next roll onto her back,
               then all the way over.

At each step you reward her with a treat or time with her favorite toy.

Do not punish if she do not do it. (There is a place for reprimand in training a dog but not here)

Rewarding when she does what you want!, is Key.

Get the book, it will help.

Good luck,

cundald

P.S. keep me posted on her progress.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 09:18:00 pm by cundald »
The first step in the acquisition of wisdom is silence, the second listening, the third memory, the fourth practice, the fifth teaching others.
Solomon Ibn Gabriol

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 09:09:03 pm »
BBJ.  They are herding dogs, tons of energy!  I don't think they hunt very well, maybe flush out birds & stuff but not like a real hunting dog.  She needs basic obedience, LEAVE IT & COME are a couple of the most important. Come can stop them from doing or going somewhere to recall to you.  Leave it is very helpful to get them to quit pestering things, grabbing your lunch off the coffee table..following little kids around hoping for dropped food or running by & snagging it right out of their hands. Get some books from the library, there are different methods of training depending on your breed of dog & personality. Cundald has good suggestions too. Go online, there are classes almost e everywhere.  Good luck..hey, where's the pics????  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 09:14:55 pm »
ok, I'll work on it.  I'll also make sure to keep you guys updated on the progress. Just asking, did you want pics of the dog?

all I really wanted her to do were to flush out birds and stuff.  Not much more.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 09:17:14 pm »
all I really wanted her to do were to flush out birds and stuff

oh, she'll do that.  did you want her back, or is this a one off??   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 09:30:35 pm »
I trained labs for hunting but im not sure border collies have it. I know they are one of the easiest dogs to train but they also have to have the instinct. The hunting dogs are bread for the hunting and for most comes natural. I do agree with poka-bee the dog does need the basics, come, stay, and sit. The dog should sit when you say sit no matter where the dog is compared to you. We always trained our labs to whistle commands along with verbal. The dog can hear the whistle at a grater distance than your voice. Its very important in hunting that your dog does what you say when you say it, Im a big bird hunter. Ive seen and heard of some many dogs getting shot because they jumped for a bird when they were commanded to sit. Like wise with my PSD (police service dog) the most important function is sit, come, and stay, oh yea and the fun one attack  :evil: Another thing to check to see if your dog has a soft mouth. You dont want a dog that bites hard on a bird you shoot and tears it up. If the dog does oou can overcome that by buying a "bumper." It has little nubs on it that some dogs dont like beccause it feels weird on their tongue. You can also put some feathers on a hard bristle brush and use it the same way. I posted a deal about losing my number one hunting partnet two years ago in a blizzard. Hunting has not been the same since. Good luck.

P.S.

Try reading "Water dog" and I think the other is "Gun dog." Great books. They start out with a 7 week old pup and go into adult hood teaching you week by week on what you should do.

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 09:56:07 pm »
ok shawn  I'll look in to those books.

Kathy, sometimes I would like her to not come back.  But, it would be preferred she returns.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 10:06:15 pm »
Only one way to train dogs.

Get two dogs. First dog craps on the rug, you shoot him in the head. And ask the second dog if he got the point......  :-D

No matter the task, start with two dogs. It works... ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 10:25:20 pm »
 :-D

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 11:54:12 pm »
Ive always been told two dogs are better to have than one, because they keep each other company. I found that true to a point. Only having one made my best friend rely on me and always wanted to be with me. Once I got the second he started not listening as well, still better than most. I can only handle one at a time chewing up everything, digging up the yard, and yes making that awful smelly mess inside. So far so good with PSD after one year. No accidents in the house, office, or car. 

anything