Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hornet nest  (Read 4560 times)

Offline Casimir

• House Bee
Hornet nest
« on: April 16, 2007, 08:24:28 pm »
Here is a picture from popular science of a hornet nest that filled his car.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 01:22:49 am by TwT »

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Hornet nest
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 09:20:39 pm »
That is a lot of nest. :shock:

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline likes2grill

• Dan
  • House Bee
    • D's Bees
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 11:13:31 pm »
Holy cow!  :shock:

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 06:47:46 am »
understudy, didn't you post an article leading to this picture/article???
well i certanly think so, coz i remember seeing it and i doubt i found it on my own. and it's not a hornets nest, it's a wasp nest, multi-queen nest, mothers and daughters living together.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 08:53:52 am »
well i certanly think so, coz i remember seeing it and i doubt i found it on my own. and it's not a hornets nest, it's a wasp nest, multi-queen nest, mothers and daughters living together.

Yeah, I did. I can't find the original link. I didn't remember the car but I remember the house that the mother daughter lived in. The patio was covered in a hornets nest.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Casimir

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 09:07:09 am »

Sorry, I forgot to include the article.
popsci.com/popsci/photogallery/54647d505244c010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd/5.html

It is a hornets nest and while hornets nests usually have only one queen, these nests can have a hundreds of queens.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 10:25:43 am »
Wow!!!  I have never seen something so astounding.  I love the way the hornets make the nest in kind of scallopped wavey texture.  Best of a beautiful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 11:23:58 pm »
They talk about the reason why they are gettin so big in the recent bee culture.
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 04:02:22 pm »
A friend sent me this picture last year with the article.  He claims that this state has been decommissioning old cold war nukes into fuel.  Does anyone know anything about this???? Seems an odd coincidence....

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 06:58:54 pm »
or! Maybe its getting just warm enough for the wasps to overwinter longer, making queens a little more relaxed with multiple queens, maybe that has been possible before, but its starting to pass through the gene pool a little more?

Its only happening in southern states, right?
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 03:16:56 am »
Yeah...I hope your right.  Of course mutations do occur around nuke power plants or accidents...  That picture gives me goosebumps.  My friend likes to spook me with weird science articles.  Some things I just don't want to know/see.

anything