Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Smoking bees out of a tree?  (Read 9522 times)

Offline Bigfoot

• New Bee
Smoking bees out of a tree?
« on: July 08, 2013, 08:56:21 pm »
Hello Folks, I've got a question, I know some people who want honey bees removed from a tree in their yard because the wife is allergic to them, the bees are going into an opening about six inches in diameter and the opening is about thirty feet off the ground. My question is what do you guys think the chances are of smoking them out of the tree? the opening is small and it seems to be their only way of getting in the hive... Any thoughts

Offline WaveyD4vey

• Brood
Re: Smoking bees out of a tree?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 09:18:23 pm »
I would say the odds are pretty good.  In my experience that usually works.  If it doesn't you could always buy some flushing spray and only use a TINY amount so it does not harm them.  As long as you use a small amount it should flush them out without harming any/very few bees.
Live bee removal expert!

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 09:19:20 pm »
I don't think you can smoke them out. You could do a trap out but the 30' up might be an obstacle. Lots of videos on you-tube on how it's done.

Offline ozebee

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 09:22:16 pm »
Use the Hogan trap out method and get yourself another 1 or 2 colonies. It will take time though.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 09:53:31 pm »
If it works, buy you a lottery ticket. It's a guaranteed winner.

Bees will die in a fire before leaving brood.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 10:00:55 pm »
Just take the 6 weeks and trap them out. 

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 10:50:28 pm »
Count on longer than 6weeks - more realistically 9.  Good luck and make sure I seal the cones outside or the bees will quickly remove the silicone and proceed like nothing ever happened. 
Good luck!
David

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 11:35:09 pm »
6 weeks is bare minimum. Some have taken 10 to 12 weeks. And that is from the time the last entrance is found and closed.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 12:03:14 am »
Buy me a lottery ticket too  :-D

Lots and lots of smoke will drive out a lot of the bees, maybe most, but they will go right back in because that is where their baby bees are.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 10:52:01 am »
>what do you guys think the chances are of smoking them out of the tree?

0.0000000000000001%

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Moots

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 04:36:24 pm »

0.0000000000000001%

As my Uncle used to say...."Somewhere between slim and none, and slim just left town."  :-D

Offline Sour Kraut

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 07:44:43 pm »
Set up a trap-out and after a week or so, drill into the tree at the bottom of the nest and smoke them till smoke rolls out the top entrance (the one that is trapped)

Give it a half-hour or so, and repeat

With luck the queen will move into the trap

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 03:42:15 pm »

0.0000000000000001% M.B.

I believe that's an exaggeration, I give it a 0.00000000000000000000000000% chance  :-D

Just bare in mind you will not be able to save the genetics of this colony unless a cut out is performed.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 06:15:55 pm »
Hello Folks, I've got a question, I know some people who want honey bees removed from a tree in their yard because the wife is allergic to them, the bees are going into an opening about six inches in diameter and the opening is about thirty feet off the ground. My question is what do you guys think the chances are of smoking them out of the tree? the opening is small and it seems to be their only way of getting in the hive... Any thoughts
These bees are 30 feet off the ground are they ready bothering you this is the same Heights has a three story building also has been my experience that bees need
about a 15-20 liter cavity to live in this kind of big for that far off the ground unless it is a BIG TREE
IMO Your chances of getting these bees out of the tree with just smoke are about as good as you win the jackpot on Powerball.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 06:25:57 pm »
Thanks, JP, you just answered a question for me, too.

We looked at a dead tree with a colony entrance about 30' up; the owner wants to have the tree removed. (She's a gardener and understands the importance of the bees, so when the tree removal service told her they would spray (kill) the bees, she said no).

Been trying to figure out if there is a way to get them out of there. We do understand that dropping the tree at this time of year would crush all the comb and kill the bees....
  :'(
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 06:32:06 pm »

We looked at a dead tree with a colony entrance about 30' up; the owner wants to have the tree removed. (She's a gardener and understands the importance of the bees, so when the tree removal service told her they would spray (kill) the bees, she said no).

Been trying to figure out if there is a way to get them out of there. We do understand that dropping the tree at this time of year would crush all the comb and kill the bees....

Will there be a crane on this job ???
If so you can cut the section out ???

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 02:53:36 am »
LOL, Jim134, if beekeepers had cranes, Bigfoot and I wouldn't have any problems!  :laugh:

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 06:27:28 am »

Are you cutting down this tree yourself ???
Is a tree Service Company doing the job for you ???
Or are you using a tree climber to cut this tree down ???
Remember you cannot save them all it may not be economically feasible.  
No matter what time of year you cut this tree down if it crashes off the ground you will crush lots of comb and kill lots of bees and brood....

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 10:26:49 am »
>I believe that's an exaggeration, I give it a 0.00000000000000000000000000% chance

That was my first thought, but then I thought, nothing is 0% or 100% when bees are involved...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 10:57:56 am »
I thought, nothing is 0% or 100% when bees are involved...

:th_thumbsupup: :goodpost:

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 04:07:53 am »
> Are you cutting down this tree yourself? Is a tree Service Company doing the job for you?

Jim, the owner is an older lady and will only allow a professional to cut the tree (I'm sure she is concerned about liability). Unfortunately, we don't have a ladder anywhere near that high, nor do we know anyone with a manlift....   :(

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 07:41:45 am »
> Are you cutting down this tree yourself? Is a tree Service Company doing the job for you?

Jim, the owner is an older lady and will only allow a professional to cut the tree (I'm sure she is concerned about liability). Unfortunately, we don't have a ladder anywhere near that high, nor do we know anyone with a manlift....   :(

Is the tree company going to use a crane ???
IMHO you need to call and see if they are.

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 02:59:14 pm »
>I believe that's an exaggeration, I give it a 0.00000000000000000000000000% chance

That was my first thought, but then I thought, nothing is 0% or 100% when bees are involved...

You got that right Mike!  :-D

JPinMo, As Jim mentioned, try and hook up with the tree company but remember you will obviously be the one who will have to cut them out with a chainsaw. I've done them like this, best case scenario is they cut the section of tree containing the hive and gently lower it to the ground where you perform the cut out using a chainsaw & smoke. You smoke, you cut, you smoke, you cut, until you expose the hive.

Its usually a pretty messy job & there is the chance that you may not be able to save them if it becomes extremely messy, albeit I have had good success with this, particularly with well established colonies. If new, you have the issue with collapsing comb/honey all over etc...

This type of removal can be quite an undertaking, I hope if you do go the distance on this one you are receiving at least some kind of agreeable compensation.

Catching swarms and doing splits is a lot easier but of course if you really are up for a challenge...

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 05:49:44 pm »
My normal routine is to offer a hooded, veiled jacket or suit and gloves to the tree cutter. Then have them cut down til they get into the comb a small bit. Next, cut about 6 feet below that after securing the hive section to the boom. Lower the section down to my truck or trailer, positioning it as close to original as possible. I cover each end with screen or plywood and take it home. If the cutter refuses, I take the saw and climb in the bucket.

I then announce at the beek club when I plan to cut it open. There are usually from 5 to 15 helpers there on the day I cut it out.

*Shel Silverstein*