Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Norm Gary  (Read 1241 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Norm Gary
« on: December 05, 2016, 01:07:19 pm »
He's been beekeeping and playing the clarinet for 69 years.

Meet Norman Gary, a UC Davis emeritus professor of entomology who retired in 1994 after a 32-year academic career.  As an apiculturist and researcher, he authored scores of peer-reviewed publications, and most recently wrote a how-to-book, The Honey Bee Hobbyist: the Care and Keeping of Bees.

Gary, now 83 and a resident of Citrus Heights, doesn't keep bees anymore. ?I had to give up hobby beekeeping in 2015," he said, "because the equipment is too heavy for me to lift."

Now he feeds wild bees in his yard like some folks do wild birds. And he feeds the birds, too. "They share feeders with no problem," he told us. "Been this way for a million years or more!"

Determined to help bees thrive and survive, Gary feeds them with his patented artificial nectar.  "I make it with ordinary table sugar ? about half sugar and half water. Then I add one tiny drop for flavoring, such as anise, that provides a fragrance that attracts bees.  Almost any flavor will work fine ? peppermint, lavender, etc.  My artificial nectar is as good, maybe better, than natural nectar.  At least the bees respond 100 percent!  People don't realize that table sugar (sucrose) is perhaps the purest natural product on the market.  It is identical to the sucrose found in natural nectar."

Often the first question that non-beekeepers ask him is ?How often have you been stung?? Answer: More than 7500 times. "Do bee stings hurt?" Answer: ?Bee stings do hurt. A sting for me is not the same as a sting for others because I scratch the stinger out before it has time to deliver the venom by its pumping action.?

During his professional bee wrangler career spanning four decades,  Gary trained bees to perform action scenes in movies, television shows and commercials. Among his credits: 18 films, including ?Fried Green Tomatoes?; more than 70 television shows, including the Johnny Carson and Jay Leno shows; six commercials, and hundreds of live Thriller Bee Shows in the Western states. Mainly for educational purposes but also for entertainment, he launched the  highly sophisticated Thriller Bee Shows, performing more than 100 times in three western states, with venues that included the California State Fair. He drew widespread acclaim for wearing a head-to-toe suit of clustered bees while "Buzzin' with his Bee-Flat Clarinet."

Gary once trained bees to fly into his mouth to collect food from a small sponge saturated with his patented artificial nectar.  His holds the Guinness World record (109 bees inside his closed mouth for 10 seconds) for the stunt.

He's also the guy behind the "bee suit" record in the Guinness World Records; Gary clustered more than 87 pounds of bees on a friend.

Today, as a musician, he plays the clarinet, alto sax, tenor sax, and flute. Most of his performances are at senior homes and private parties. He directs and performs with Four for Fun, Mellow Fellas Duo, and the Calamity Jazz Band.  Senior favorites include  "Bill Bailey," "Bourbon Street Parade," "Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans," "Georgia" and "Just a Little While To Stay Here."

Meanwhile, Norm Gary is loving his post-retirement music career, just as he loves bees. And yes, he still has CDs of his Beez Kneez Dixieland band that he retired several years ago.  In addition, Gary provides the sound system for what is billed as "the world's only all women banjo band, GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS," directed by his wife.

It's all music to his ears?and so are the bees.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Norm Gary
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 09:24:06 am »
Good read
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 09:40:36 pm »
Fun. 

Fragrances in the sugar water, huh?  Have to try that.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 06:46:34 am »
I had to laugh about feeding the bees. I wonder if there's any bk's in his flight range that scratch their heads as to why the honey doesn't taste right.
But good for him, keeping busy is an understatement for that man LOL.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 12:40:46 pm »

I had to laugh about feeding the bees. I wonder if there's any bk's in his flight range that scratch their heads as to why the honey doesn't taste right.

:cheesy:

I have a good friend who lives in N Los Vegas. My wife and I went out there to visit him a couple of years ago. He was trying to attract bees to his little garden and he would put honey on a hot plate and cook it. The bees were attracted to it. I had to tell him he was probably killing the bees due to cooking it. I also told him about the dangers of feeding commercial honey and AFB. The bees there have a hard enough time surviving in a pure desert without being honey that makes then sick. 
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything