Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Purple Martins  (Read 5397 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Purple Martins
« on: February 04, 2014, 08:48:27 pm »
Does anyone have any? I was raised by my grandparents (dad lived next door), and now I'm living in the house I was raised up in.

Growing up my grandfather always had a martin pole with martins. So when I moved back I always kept one as well. Then I put up another one about 30 yards away from the first one. I always noticed that when the chicks were big enough to fly they would fight over who all spent the night in the gourd. By that time not all of them could, or would, fit. So I got me a good idea. When they started fighting I put up another pole. Sure enough, the ones who couldn't go back home just moved in the new pole - and returned the next year. I got up to four poles. Above each gourd I placed a number. When the time come for the chicks to get big enough to stick their head out I started counting.

I got up to 27 gourds with 3 to 5 chicks in each gourd! Man that's some martins, and they were so enjoyable to watch. So the time came that year for them to migrate back to central/south America. About the time I figure they were in the Gulf of Mexico - Katrina came along. The next year I only had two pair. The following year one pair, then after that I would only have scouts come by but no nesters. We haven't had any since. We still have two poles up but no birds. Others in this area have lost theirs as well.

I'm not sure if they were lost(drowned) or got spun around and started nesting somewhere else. It's amazing that they can go to South America and return back to the same pole they left. I realize that sometimes migratory paths will change and I presume nesting grounds would as well. Has anyone else seen an increase or decrease in the populations? We also have tons more of hawks than we use to. We always have had owls, and owls will run them off quicker than you can tell.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Purple Martins
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 09:52:12 pm »
I found your post very interesting. I have always wanted some martins since I saw some at a place where we were working. They are fun to watch. Do they eat bees?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 12:35:15 am »
 :catchchick: I hope the find there way back :yippiechick:

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 05:55:41 am »
Steve, I don't know for sure but I wouldn't put it past them. They're in the swallow family of birds and suppose to eat three times their weight in mosquitos every day. (I don't see how/mosquitos)
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 11:08:33 pm »
do they eat gnats?  
i had been thinking about putting out some gourds.  

Offline stanisr

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 02:25:15 pm »
I have been told that they do eat bees and other flying insects. An old beekeeper said not to put martin housed near your beeyard, so I haven't.
Rick

Offline stanisr

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 11:02:11 am »
I have researched the Purple Martin and the bird experts all agree the bees are one of the staple food sources for them. And oddly enough, mosquitos are not due to their size. Moths and butterflies are also listed as a main food source. So if someone could train them to eat wax moths and leave the bees alone, instant fame.
Rick

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 04:08:03 am »
I have researched the Purple Martin and the bird experts all agree the bees are one of the staple food sources for them. And oddly enough, mosquitos are not due to their size. Moths and butterflies are also listed as a main food source. So if someone could train them to eat wax moths and leave the bees alone, instant fame.

And SHB also

BEE HAPPY Jlm 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 06:27:03 am »
Staniser; that would make sense. I've always heard the bit about mosquitos but it does seem like a big waste of energy for such a small meal.