Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Look at my frames and give me your opinion  (Read 2526 times)

Offline CraigW

• House Bee
  • Thunder Rolls
Look at my frames and give me your opinion
« on: July 07, 2006, 01:38:03 pm »
This is a pic of a frame from my only hive that I established this April.
Most of the other frames looked the same except a few were totally honey. The frame next to this one had the Queen on it. She was wondering by herself, I may have displaced her attendees when I lifted the frame from the hive.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. This was a new package in April.
http://www.esnips.com/web/countrycraigsBeePics
Have a great Day and Thanks!

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 03:20:30 pm »
Doesn't seem to work.  No highlighting for the link.  Maybe drop off the [URL] at the beginning.  That's what I had to do for my first link.  May or may not work.  There's a lot more knowledgeable than me around.

David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 03:53:00 pm »
On a quick look, looks good to me.
Capped brood, open cells where brood recently emerged (probably with another set of eggs/larva already), and honey on the edges.

Looks pretty good.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline keeper007

• House Bee
Re: Look at my frames and give me your opinion
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 04:56:40 pm »
Quote from: BB Bottom Board
The frame next to this one had the Queen on it. She was wondering by herself.

queens sometimes take breaks from laying you probuly just found her while she was resting
"Suspect everyone, even those beyond suspicion"
-Steve Leopard/Cirque du Freak

Offline CraigW

• House Bee
  • Thunder Rolls
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 06:09:11 pm »
Good thanks every one!! as I said I just got these bees in April and I didn't know what to expect at this time in their life, how far along they should be and stuff like that.
I need to re-read my bee book again to refresh my memory. Its weak,lol.
Have a great Day and Thanks!

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 03:04:41 pm »
Don't worry.  You're in Texas so, I'd imagine that winters are comparable to northern Florida or so.  If that's the case then they should make it through just fine.  That frame looks fine to me.  How many frames are drawn now?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 04:37:35 am »
Books are good source of general information but they still leave a lot of things out.  They seem to be geared more towards the sideliner rather than the 2-10 hive hobbiest most of us are.  This forum goes a long way towards filling in the gaps of information the books leave out.
That said, the queen does take a break, more often than you might realize, but she should still have attendents even then.  As long as your queen is laying in the cells of recently hatched brood within a few days of hatching you should be okay this time of year.
A slow down, smaller brood area on each frame, may take place as early as August as the bees start to gear down for wintering.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!