Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Law Protecting hived Bees in FL as Farm Animals???  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
Law Protecting hived Bees in FL as Farm Animals???
« on: January 27, 2013, 04:24:10 pm »
A little difficult to word my dilemma in my title...

Recently there has been 'suspicious' things happening around my hives.  Examples...big pieces of 4X4's that I have never seen before under and around my hives (like they were thrown there), and suddenly many dead bees on the ground in front, etc.  I am suspecting my lawn crew is harassing and spraying the bees as they drive near the hives the same day they were here.   We set up video cameras to record activity around two of my three hive areas yesterday.  The lawn crew is due here tomorrow.   :evil:   I think I remember hearing that hived bees are now classified as farm animals, and thus protected by Federal/State Law?  I have been told it is a felony to harass or kill these 'farm animals'.  Is this correct, or is it a pipe dream?   I tried to search for the statute, but the closest I could come was 828.12 protecting animals from cruelty.  If I catch them in the act tomorrow, I plan to call the police, and would like to be able to provide them with the Law.   Thanks to any and all for input!! 

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Law Protecting hived Bees in FL as Farm Animals???
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 05:15:36 pm »
Contact your local inspector.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 06:26:30 pm »
Scott:  First, good to see you back!  I hope Peggy is back on her feet, too! 

I don't want to call him on a Sunday, and was just trying to find an answer before they arrive in the morning.   I don't imagine inspectors would be at all interested.  Again, was just trying to find out for sure.

Thanks!  Hope all is calming down and going better!!  Sorry to see of your bear disaster, too.   :'( 

Offline Nature Coast Beek

• House Bee
  • Suck it up, buttercup!
    • Both Feet In
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 06:47:59 pm »
Fire the lawn crew and get a new one...who cares if they are actually doing anything...they're a dime a dozen in Florida!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 08:30:22 pm »
I've got an inspection on Fri so I'll ask at that time...might be a bit late for you but I'll at least have an answer. You could call the State first thing tomorrow too.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 09:26:43 pm »
...if someone is vandalizing your property, even if you've hired them to do work, they are still vandalizing your property...be it a beehive or anything else.  If you get it filmed, call the police....they may just make a report, but it will help, for instance, if you want to take the lawn compay to small claims.

deknow

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 09:33:05 pm »
It should not matter if bees are livestock or not, they are your property.   But first make sure they are bothering the bees.   Bee bees can be the result of many things, and most are natural. 

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 11:24:01 pm »
Thank you hardwood, Nature Coast, deknow, AllenF....I won't do ANYthing until I have things captured on tape.  I will certainly not tip my hat, or watch them (that they KNOW about!).  It may be another two week wait...we'll see!  I will have the house buttoned up tomorrow like nobody is home, and I will be in the garage monitoring the security cameras.   :-D  It is all recorded, so I will have everything I need if they are indeed messing with my bees!  There are only five houses with access to our lake, and all are very on board with having bees in the hood.  (Their fruit crops and gardens have been crazy good since the bees have been here, and they love it!)   The yard crew is the only thing that makes any sense, though I will not accuse/confront anybody of anything without proof.  Stoked to have the cameras in place now...tomorrow could be fun!   :evil:  :police:   :evil:   Thanks again, and Ill keep you updated! 

hardwood:  Got this reply on another forum from a FL Apiary supervisor...

Harassment of bees is not a crime. It is very difficult to prove with insects.
Damaging your hive, equipment, beekeeping livelihood is another matter.
Florida Stature Chapter 586 and Florida Administrative Code 5B-54

I have asked a few more questions.  And truly, I wasn't trying to make small talk....I hope Peggy is doing well! 

Offline Mbeck

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 11:28:15 pm »
I can't wait to see the video!
Will you post it?
I'm putting up trail cameras this week but just for critters.

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 02:06:49 am »
Mbeck:  I am very technologically challenged...took me about 4 months just to figure out posting pictures!   :laugh:  It may take me years to figure out the whole video thing!  I just want to catch the bas-tids messing with my hives.  I promise a play by play though!!   :laugh:

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 09:50:34 am »
kids in the neighborhood? 

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 03:27:57 pm »
Update!  Well, the bees are safe after mowing this morning.  Everybody behaved, making the mystery more of a mystery.  Very glad to have the cameras in place for any future problems! 

10framer:  Not a single kid in the hood.  The hood is shaped like a horse shoe...one way in, one way out, and only a few homes.

Thanks for the ideas and encouragement everyone!