Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: feeding your hives- Northern USA  (Read 2364 times)

Offline AdmiralD

• House Bee
feeding your hives- Northern USA
« on: January 25, 2006, 12:34:57 am »
Ok you southern bkprs...you guys are prolly into the bloom by now, right? Isn't Oranges starting to bloom at this time of year??? Or do oranges bloom at all???

Anyways, this question is for you northern BKPRS who are preparing your bees...

I heard that some BKPRS are putting in pollen or bee paddies in now. Why is that? Is it time to do that NOW??? While I have some early flowers putting forth some blades and by this time next month, there will be flowers on, should I bee starting to feed pollen at this time??? I do want to build up my hive early this year...Want to increase my one hive to 3 if possible....Is it possible? If so, how?

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 02:26:34 am »
It depends what place you live and when your spring begins. It is good if nature starts to bloom one month after you have started pollen feeding. So new emerged bees get fresh pollen to eat.  I have  made spring feeding 13 years. In small hives (4-5 frames) feeding  causes easily chalkbrood.

And if you want good spring development it is better to use insulated boxes.

Spring feeding is not easy but everyone starts somehow.

This is good to read carefully http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/bkCD/HBBiology/nutrition_supplements.htm

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 07:45:37 am »
Normally this time of year I'd be leaving them along.  But they are out gathering grain dust from my horses feed buckets.  So I have pollen on them and feeders full.  It's supposed to be in the fifties the next two days.  They are actually building up.  They look like what they usually look like in April right now.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: feeding your hives- Northern USA
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 03:50:03 pm »
Quote from: AdmiralD
Ok you southern bkprs...you guys are prolly into the bloom by now, right? Isn't Oranges starting to bloom at this time of year??? Or do oranges bloom at all???

Anyways, this question is for you northern BKPRS who are preparing your bees...

I heard that some BKPRS are putting in pollen or bee paddies in now. Why is that? Is it time to do that NOW??? While I have some early flowers putting forth some blades and by this time next month, there will be flowers on, should I bee starting to feed pollen at this time??? I do want to build up my hive early this year...Want to increase my one hive to 3 if possible....Is it possible? If so, how?

Okay, it is a bit weird growing oranges and citrus in Florida. The oranges are generally ripe on the tree in months of november through feburary. Janurary being considered the peak time. That is why frost warnings are so bad down here. One night can destroy crops. The best month for picking the oranges depends on what type you are growing but the general rule is janurary.  Now there are oranges that bloom in spring and summer.  So beekeepers can come down from the wintery north and set their bees up in Florida and help pollinate for the winter and spring crops depending on what type of oranges are going to grow.

There are also beekeepers that stay in Florida year round. Orange blossom honey is sold in the stores here.  

There used to be miles of orange fields all over Florida. Citrus canker and development have reduced the orange crops to a small percentage of what use to exist in Florida. In a way it is very sad.

You could always see bee hives in the orange grooves.  It is still done as bees are needed for the oranges. However I find that the beekeepers are losing a lot of the lands they use to set up on.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline jgarzasr

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 06:35:33 pm »
I have to agree that it is really sad down in Florida.... my wife use to live in Florida and her and her family were migrant workers... we now live in MI - but we went to visit this past spring down there, and we haven't been there in about 15 yrs..   Just about everywhere there used to be orange groves are now subdivisions..... This was in the Orlando area - but I wonder if it is the same in other parts.

anything