Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarms  (Read 1448 times)

Offline tincan

• House Bee
swarms
« on: May 17, 2013, 04:26:13 pm »
Im in northeast wisconsin and have only seen one swarm in my life 49 years am I just missing them or do they not swarm in the north as much as the south because it seems like they get alot of swarms in the south

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: swarms
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 05:00:19 pm »
every place is different and every year is different.  some years i get so many calls i can't keep up with them and other years, none.  how long have you had your name out there?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Highlander

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 06:54:30 pm »
Thats funny, Tincan, I was just wondering the same thing this afternoon as I looked around a set of old barns. Didn't see any indication that there had ever been a swarm or hive in either of them. Plenty of hornets and wasps, but no honey bees.  And, I have never heard of one in the area in the over twenty years i have lived here in NY.

Cruachan!

Highlander   

For as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
From The Declaration of Arbroath 1320.

Offline tincan

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 10:20:31 pm »
this is only my third year but i thought in 49 years i would have seen or heard of some

Offline Highlander

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 12:19:44 pm »
I am in my first year as a beekeeper, and thought it would be nice to find a hive in an old barn or house and try to catch it. So I started looking around in some of these places and can find no evidence of any ever having bee, I know we have feral honey bees around her, just haven't located any sites yet.
Cruachan!

Highlander   

For as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
From The Declaration of Arbroath 1320.

Offline TNTBEES

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 01:21:17 pm »
I'm a second year beek from Montana and I had never heard of one until last year, there were three on craigslist. I was able to get one of them. I think in our area there are some but they are rare to find. I don't know of any feral colonies but there must be some somewhere. I've never heard about a cutout in our area either. Not many bees and a lot of area.

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 03:12:22 pm »
some people go a lifetime without shooting a banded duck or goose.. some shoot a banded bird every year..

anything