Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: GreenHouse I made for the wife  (Read 5782 times)

Offline pondman

• House Bee
GreenHouse I made for the wife
« on: April 07, 2007, 11:18:17 pm »
Here is a picture of the greenhouse that I made for the wife. Now I can check that one off the honey due list.. :-D

Have a great day
James

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
Re: GreenHouse I made for the wife
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 09:32:25 am »
Nice greenhouse, what is the size?  I would like to add a little greenhouse on the side of my shed. 

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 10:20:55 am »
Like the vent designed on top.

-- Kris

Offline pondman

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 09:00:28 pm »
The size of the greenhouse is a 8x10

Here is a link to download the plans for the greenhouse they are free

www.buildeazy.com/greenhouse_imp.html

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 12:25:21 am »
Pondman.  I wish that I could have seen your picture of the greenhouse. I waited for about 5 minutes for it to download, but got tired of waiting, must be a gliche on my end.  I will look at it tomorrow morning.  Have the best day, and good health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 07:19:29 pm »
i'd love a greenhouse but anything we put up here has to stand up to the gorge winds.  that means cement and glass.  no plastic.  then you put up glass and the wind blows tree parts through it.  i even gave up on cold frames.  i use plastic milk jugs because if they blow away, at least they don't leave glass in the dirt.

nice job and thanks for the link.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 11:53:09 pm »
DEFINETALY love it... just needs to suit standards for a hot house. So i can grow 100000 of Carnivorous plants!
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 10:20:22 am »
Pondman.  I think there must be a gliche on my computer.  I tried again to look at the picture, but imageshack is taking forever to download the picture and I am getting sick and tired of waiting for them to download for me (LOL).  Well, maybe I'll see it one day.   Best of this beautiful day, good health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 10:41:17 am »
Nice,  did you use greenhouse plastic?

Here is a picture of the one I built out of some left over 1" PVC pipe and a storm door from the dump :-D.   I used regular plastic from Lowe's the first couple of years,  but the UV would destroy it in just one year, so I splurged and bought the greenhouse plastic figuring it would be cheaper in the long run,  not to mention the work replacing it.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 07:26:40 pm by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 11:26:21 am »
Robo, very nice setup.  I like the door.  I love to see the greenhouses that people have, consider yourself very lucky to have this little world to go and work in.  My greenhouse is my little haven, away from the cold outside, warm, humid, just like I walked from the world I live in, into a tropical paradise.  Where would this world be without greenhouses?  It would be full of pretty frustrated people that would love to get their tender seedlings growing on, long before they are set outside, to brave the weather. 

By the way, I love that domed design and one day will get my husband to build one.  Robo, that was just such a great idea using your stuff that would probably one day be disgarded.  My greenhouse (the one that I have left, I used to have several when I operated my small nursery), are/were made of wood frames and fibreglass panels on the side and roof.  My greenhouse is more of a permanent fixture for me, which is good for certain applications.  I am lucky to have growing lights and a furnace, this allows me to begin setting seed early as I want.  Many things used to be started before Christmas when I was nurturing plants for sale in May.

The new greenhouse that my husband began to construct while I was at the beemasters short course is made of wood frame and will have plastic on the roof and sides.  It will be done shortly I hope, cause I have now started the curcurbits inside (along with a myriad of other perennials and annuals) and I will be setting these along, with tomatoes in this greenhouse soon.  So I have to motivate my man.  He has so much on the go, I hate to ask him such little things, but they really are big things.  I will post pictures of the seedlings growing on in my greenhouse and the finished product of the "tomato" greenhouse when I can figure out what is wrong with my computer.

His biggest thinig right now is to get my bee "stuff" out of his garage.  He cleaned it up yesterday and if they were in their own home, he would have so much more room, then maybe he could build me more stuff (LOLL&L).

Have a wonderful, beautiful day, with great health.  Cindi

Offline pondman

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 07:47:22 pm »
Robo

I like your green house, very nice job I too used the stuff from lowes I hope that will get me by till I can order the better covering for it...I had to get it done or the wife was going to put me outside till it was done. :)

Have a great day
James

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 10:20:57 pm »
I made a greenhouse out of 1" pvc 40 piping a couple of years ago. Worked out quite well until a freak major storm came through VA a couple of years ago.. Had I tied a rope to it I would have had a wicked kite for a few hours.

Offline prisoner#1

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 10:52:39 pm »
I made a greenhouse out of 1" pvc 40 piping a couple of years ago.

I've been considering building one from galvanized 1 1/2 inch sch 5 pipe, really thin walled stuff, I'm
accumulating tempered glass from my neighbor to do a real one in the next few years, I'm thankful
that I took a job in a metal shop so I can make brackets and things to support the load of all the glass,
it'll be the cheapest overpriced greenhouse ever,  he doesnt have to pay for disposal and I dont have
to spend $20k for glass.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 09:53:27 am »
Worked out quite well until a freak major storm came through VA a couple of years ago.. Had I tied a rope to it I would have had a wicked kite for a few hours.

Ya, I get pretty good winds here in the mountains, it sounds like a freight train coming down the valley.   Mine won't blow away though,  it has a 2x4 base around the perimeter and a 4x4 running across the top for support.   I have found that just opening the plastic a little on the ends equalizes the pressure and it is pretty wind resistant.    I did worry a few times when the snow got stacked up quite high on it,  but it seems to hold that quite well too.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison