Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Price of honey (lb) in your area  (Read 19742 times)

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
Re: Price of honey (lb) in your area
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2014, 04:49:12 pm »
ya have to tell them where you reside or they think your hopessly lost when your not. they called me lost
But you know i know where i am far better than most.
we came for help with or questions, needed answers. not flippant remarks.

price of honey down here 7 to 15 depends on who selling and has it been cut or cooked
jay

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2014, 04:14:51 pm »
Jay,
The reason behind adding a general location is so it does not need to be asked over and over. beekeeping in Florida is very different in some respects than in Pennsylvania. Sometimes a better answer can be given by knowing where a member is from.
If you look below your name where you post you will see peoples location ,if it says "Hopelessly Lost" it is because a member did not add their location.This is a default of the forum software. Many times people just do not realize they did not add it.
It is not "flippant" remark asking them to add their location.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2014, 01:33:18 pm »
ya have to tell them where you reside or they think your hopessly lost when your not. they called me lost
But you know i know where i am far better than most.
we came for help with or questions, needed answers. not flippant remarks.

The phrase is not meant to be a slam just a play on the words listed in the location when you do not add it.  Dang that's a good start  :?  Maybe just simply lost would be a better fit  :-D Or a simple chill with a  :)
John 3:16

Offline Edgy

• House Bee
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2014, 12:27:24 am »
Retail at its between $3.50 and $6.50 per lb.  "organic" honey goes for $15.00/lb. 

Offline cklspencer

• House Bee
    • 3 bee honey
Re: Re: Re: Price of honey (lb) in your area
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2014, 12:46:23 pm »
Retail at its between $3.50 and $6.50 per lb.  "organic" honey goes for $15.00/lb. 

There is no such thing as "organic honey"......you cant control where your bees forage.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
Re: Re: Re: Price of honey (lb) in your area
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2014, 01:11:51 pm »
There is no such thing as "organic honey"......you cant control where your bees forage.

What if your hives are in the middle of an organic farm?

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2014, 02:11:10 pm »
Well, if everything is organic for miles in every direction beyond the range of a forager, then I guess you could label it organic. Around here, that would be a very rare location to have.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2014, 08:36:50 pm »
A friend of mine went to Gatlinburg, Tn to visit his mom. He said that the honey up there was going for $15 a pint - not a quart. He said he was told it was because everyone up there used honey in their coffee. I didn't ask but I bet he got it at a tourist trap, probably had a Smokey Mountain Honey on it, or something to that effect. I'm still experimenting with the honey in the coffee thing.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2014, 09:59:16 pm »
The three things my honey customers say they use honey for the most is peanutbutter, oatmeal and coffee.
They probably sell that mountain honey as sourwood honey. Probably really comes from China.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2014, 10:55:58 pm »
i haven't ever liked it in coffee but it's good in iced tea.  try a couple of drops on some sharp cheddar cheese some time.

saw some at the feed and seed for $11.50 a pint yesterday. 

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2014, 12:22:05 pm »
I'm very VERY new to honey but did sell 1 gallon yesterday. I had already spent the time to put it up in 1/2 and full pint jars but was happy to save my glass ware and dump it into their containers. Liz uses honey in just about everything she used to use sugar in. I sold the honey for 60 bucks and they said they would be ready for another gallon in about a month or so. I guess I'd better get the wip out and get the girls going! LOL  :-D

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2014, 01:16:09 pm »
It is all about the packaging and the marketing. If you don't believe it look here: Check out the different honeys for different uses :)

https://www.savannahbee.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home

And yes Gatlinburg would be a high end fu-fuuuuu market. The roadside stands here got 13 and 14 a pint in a rural farm area. I guy near a retiremenet high end community I knwo gets $16 pt. Wish I could be so lucky.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2014, 02:34:25 pm »
sc, a friend of mine keeps bees in north alabama and his sister owns a restaurant in georgia and she carries the savannah bee stuff and it brings an outrageous price.  he said he handed her a medium frame one day and said "that will be 100 dollars....." but she didn't go for it.

Offline Edgy

• House Bee
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2014, 02:48:15 pm »
It is all about the packaging and the marketing. If you don't believe it look here: Check out the different honeys for different uses :)

https://www.savannahbee.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home

And yes Gatlinburg would be a high end fu-fuuuuu market. The roadside stands here got 13 and 14 a pint in a rural farm area. I guy near a retiremenet high end community I knwo gets $16 pt. Wish I could be so lucky.
That's crazy!  Hey I live in a tourist trap town, maybe I could get those prices from the Canadians. 

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2014, 02:59:40 pm »
All honey tastes great  ;)

But if you can sell a honey jar with a story that brings a small tear of joy to the customer you can name your price.

They are paying - buying  an idea not just a jar of honey.

mvh Edward

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2014, 03:21:41 pm »
All honey tastes great  ;)
But if you can sell a honey jar with a story that brings a small tear of joy to the customer you can name your price.
They are paying - buying  an idea not just a jar of honey.
mvh Edward

Some of us they are just buying honey from. I need to come up with a good story  :-D

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2014, 03:23:20 pm »
sc, a friend of mine keeps bees in north alabama and his sister owns a restaurant in georgia and she carries the savannah bee stuff and it brings an outrageous price.  he said he handed her a medium frame one day and said "that will be 100 dollars....." but she didn't go for it.

I dont get it 10 framer --- medium frame fresh out the hive still warm... seems worth it to me. Guess the fancy jar and story is worth more  :?

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2014, 03:57:55 pm »
i need to start putting some of those j. peterman stories on my labels and see if it'll get the price up.  honestly, i don't know if i could sleep at night if i was gouging. 

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2014, 04:08:42 pm »
i need to start putting some of those j. peterman stories on my labels and see if it'll get the price up.  honestly, i don't know if i could sleep at night if i was gouging.

How would you sleep if you found out that you've sold your honey at an underprice and your customers thought so to and were willing to pay more  :'(

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2014, 04:21:57 pm »
i make a living in sales and i'll be the first to tell you that any given day there will always be somebody willing to sell product cheaper,  there is a service factor involved, though.  in the end, all my competition has the same product as me and they buy it at close to the same price.  i sell building materials but i'm really in the shipping/coordinating business because that's what makes me stand out.  a fancy package and a cute story is a gimmick, not a service.  if someone is willing to pay more for it that's there business.  i'm more interested in a different niche.