Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nosema???  (Read 1272 times)

Offline ty1on

• New Bee
Nosema???
« on: February 01, 2011, 02:10:40 pm »
We had a break in the weather over the week-end and was able to check my hives.   One had the traditional marking on the outside that would suggest nosema.  I opened the reducer and there were hundreds of dead bees on the bottom board.  I cleaned them out and thought that I had a dead out.   The upper deep was packed full of capped honey that they did not touch.  But when I looked in the brood chamber there was a small cluster that was too weak to even resist my efforts.

Should I try to treat with fumiagilin by sraying the cluster?  If so when can the treatment start?

What should i do with the deep that is full of honey?  Can it be extracted or put in other hive?  How can I kill the spores?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Nosema???
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 02:51:49 pm »
They can get the runs trapped inside the hive so long during the winter.  It will clear up when they start eating and flying again.  I would not spray with the cold weather here, only when warm.  And you can move frames of honey anywhere you want with no problems.   

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Nosema???
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 11:54:32 pm »
There is always yellow snow on a warm day... there are always dead bees on the bottom in the winter.  A cluster that is unresponsive is usually starving (even if there is food nearby).  Some warm syrup directly over or even on the cluster will sometimes get them work up.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything