Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Garden Hives  (Read 2816 times)

Offline bmacior

• House Bee
Garden Hives
« on: September 30, 2008, 10:26:54 pm »
 :-D Received my 2 new garden hives from Brushy Mtn yesterday. :-D  One of the landing boards was broken and one of mediums had a bad crack in it.  They are replacing both.  Some other minor defects that I am probably being overly nit picky about, but when they are the price of gold I expect perfection.  (I know they are only bee hives and not designer furniture, but my girls deserve the best.)  Anyway, what with the extra mediums I bought and other assundry things, shipping was as much as a third hive.  Actually I had cancelled the order once because of the shipping, but the "heart wants what the heart wants" so I re-ordered. :lol:

Have the bees wax portion of the wax and rosin finish. Acutally I woke up in the middle of the night two nights ago because I forgot the rosin part of the formula. :-\  Need to get that and find a big enough container to boil them in.  Hopefully we will have a long Indian summer to get the new hives cooked.  Spring (and putting my new hives into use) is a long way off. :(

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
Re: Garden Hives
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 08:44:57 pm »
bmacior,
Bring that garden hive up here to me in SLC and let me take a good look at it. I will get a good pattern off it and I will build you one in echange if you like. If I remember right you needed some drawn comb too.... If you get a chance to come up this way, I wanted to take a good look at one of those to see how they are put together.
I would like to build a bunch over the winter and get everyone around here doing bees next year. I figured the garden hive might be the best way to do it.
Frantz
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline bmacior

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 08:27:08 pm »
You're welcome to come here and take a look if you're ever down this way.  SLC  is about an hour from here.  If you do make hives, you could market them at our association meetings.

My bees finally did draw some more wax and their number increased.  I'm more optimistic about them making through winter.

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 11:27:43 am »
I would love to come down and take a look. Maybe take some pics. Thanks. I don't get down that way to often, but I have family in near Payson in Benjamin (spelling?). Once I see it I can usually make it, I just have a hard time picturing how stuff goes together at first.
F

Offline bmacior

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 12:19:50 pm »
We're 5 minutes further down the road from Benjamin.  Come on down for the super cooking (wax and rosin finish).  Hopefully we won't be burning the homestead down.

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 01:15:48 pm »
When are you guys going to cook them?? I would like to come down and see that.
F

Offline bmacior

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 11:50:44 pm »
I've got the rosin on order and I have to find something to boil them in, so it'll probably be at least a couple of weeks.  Will let you know when we have a definite date.

anything