Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: TOP FEEDERS  (Read 931 times)

Offline GLOCK

• House Bee
TOP FEEDERS
« on: October 09, 2011, 01:11:48 pm »
Hi. I have top feeders on my hives  {3} and there in need of more syrup and they are doing well lots of bees and seem to have the weight they need .
should i let the feeders on till they quite taking syrup? or should i take them off now .
we don't have much left as in nectar  we had two frosts so far but i still see asters and some old golden rod .
I only fed them the total of 50lb sugar and the rest they gathered  nectar to make honey.
I'm going into winter with healthy hives lots of bees and honey .
I want to take the feeders off and put to entrances on and put insulation under the top cover and wrap them but it going to be in the 70s this week so do you think i should wait week  and keep feeding or wrap it up now .
The nights in the low 40s.
thank you
Say hello to the bad guy.
35hives  {T} OAV

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
Re: TOP FEEDERS
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 01:59:01 pm »
If you have a good run of weather and the bees consume a good portion of what they have in their hives, you may want to feed a little more.  For what it's worth, I leave my top feeders on until it's cold enough, consistently enough, that if I'm feeding the bees won't come up to take it any more.  Then I pull becuase of the condensation issues.

It's also a timing issue for you, though.  If you're comfortable with what the bees have in their box and you have time to swap all the equipment around now, and not later, then go for it.  There are other feeding options if you need to supplement.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Re: TOP FEEDERS
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 02:01:03 pm »
I think it would depend on how much nectar they had brought in on their own. 50lbs of sugar mixed at 2:1 by weight with water would only translate into roughly 25 lbs of syrup per hive. (if my quick math is right). Im thinking your winters are a little longer and a little rougher than mine-I wouldnt feel comfortable with just the approximate 25lb addition of syrup. The problem is do they have enough time left to dry it down before the real cold sets in if you have to feed more?