Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: On buying Top Bar Hives  (Read 9978 times)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: On buying Top Bar Hives
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 12:19:55 pm »
darn,  Bill is such a sweat heart :-*
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: On buying Top Bar Hives
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 11:35:36 am »
I agree that the fancy top bar hives seem to negate one of the appeals of a top bar hive to me.  To me one of the appealing aspects is that they are cheap and simple to make.  On the other hand, the fancy ones provide some things that some people want.  They are nice looking, have an observation window, usually have some kind of screened bottom board (which many seem to think they need for Varroa), legs (which would get it blown over in the wind where I live) and many other features that I find superfluous, but they are nice.  For those who have some money to spend and no skills in woodworking it saves them having to make the top bars and the comb guides which are the parts that require some skill with a saw.  I do think there is a market for a simple and cheap top bar hive for those who lack woodworking skills but don't want a work of art.

I will also say that I've priced what it takes me to make things, like foundationless frames, top bars with comb guides etc. and what people are willing to pay for them, and it's just not worth making them from my point of view unless they go for more than I think they are worth...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin