Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mite-Away II Question  (Read 1242 times)

Offline c10250

• House Bee
Mite-Away II Question
« on: October 17, 2009, 11:16:54 am »
Three weeks ago I applied a MA-II pad to the hive.  Everything was good until the last week of the three-week treatment.  At that time, it turned cold and temperatures got up to the mid 40s every day.  The instructions say that the temps should be around 55 (I believe).

Next week it should be back in the 60s and 70s again.  Should I remove the pad (it's been 3 weeks), or should I give it another week?

Ken

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
Re: Mite-Away II Question
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 10:47:41 am »
Although I'm not an expert I'd say leave it on. The up coming warm temperatures will activate the pads that might not of been working when the temps were cold. I'm in the same boat so I will watch the answers here with interest.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Mite-Away II Question
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 11:32:53 am »
When I used to use formic acid pads, the pads would simply remain in the colony throughout the winter.  Yes, the acid is not activated in cold weather, but when the weather becomes warm enough the fumes would activate.  My two cents.  Have that great and most wonderful day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service