Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Will this work?!?!?!?!?  (Read 3283 times)

Offline wfuavenger

• House Bee
Will this work?!?!?!?!?
« on: December 11, 2009, 11:40:57 am »
Okay guys and girls, will this work?

I am new to bee'in a Beek and was building a beeyard in my urban back yard. My neighbors dont mind and are actually curious. Anyway, I live on a private road with about 15 houses. About 10 of the houses on my road and around me are rentals rented by college kids. I am worried about vandalism from some drunk frat party the first 2 years until the flowering plants I have planted grow up enough to partially hide the hives.

The garden box is infront of a bunch of russian sage that is infront of the cinderblocks where my stand will be. I am going to let it grow up for 2 years to be 4-5' tall.

Now, durring those 2 years, I was planning on keeping my hives on the back deck. My spouse is not thrilled with the idea of bees flying all over the place comming and going out the enterance over the porch. So, I was planning on orrienting them east (good idea anyway). The problem is that it then faces them toward the slats in the rail.

Is this going to be a problem? I know wild bees make homes in trees and all, but what about this? Will it create a problem with flightpaths and homing?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 04:54:28 pm by Robo »

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
Re: Will this work?!?!?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 11:56:09 am »
I can't see your pics but I can tell you that I have several hives that face a wire fence and 99% of the bees in those hives won't fly through it. they just go up and over.

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 12:02:18 pm »
Since they'll eventually be only partially hidden anyway, why not just erect a temporary screen of some sort like shade mesh or a partial fence. Vandalism of bee hives in a residential area is not a big problem and the fact is they'll only do it one time!

Offline wfuavenger

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 12:58:05 pm »
I don't have enough posts to post links and cannot put the pics in. That is why I have the webmaster or mod listed to put them in for me. I have sent him an e-mail.

The distance will be only about 20" from the enterance to the fence. Do you think they will do a high flight path and go up and over?

I don't want to spend any more money than necessassary as I have spent $1,000+ on this hobby and don't even have the bees yet! I have thought about doing a fence, but it is time, effort and money buying the parts and putting it up. Plus, I will not see any of the money back from this project if I build a fence and I am already losing money on the flower garden... long story.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 01:30:25 pm »
Hello, if you need pictures posted you have to send them to one of the mods directly and they will do it for you.
They may not read this thread for a while and won't know that you need pictures posted.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 01:45:31 pm »
wfuavenger,

To keep your hives out of view, just put up a section of stockade fence, a 6 or 8 foot long section can do wonders at some angles and distances. Anyways, don't stop "living" because you are concerned with some future drunken kids, first all, they'll be trespassing, if they wreck your hives or anything on your property, it is vandalism and lastly, if they get stung, that's their darn fault.  :evil:

Godspeed  :-D

BeeHopper

Offline John Lee Pettimore

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 02:26:21 pm »
if they get stung, that's their darn fault.  :evil:
BeeHopper

And if they get shot in the behind with birdshot as they are running away...
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 04:56:27 pm »
The railing will pose no issue to the bees.   I keep nucs on my porch from time to time while I'm moving them from one place to another and face them out against the railing like you plan.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline manfre

• House Bee
    • Backyard Apiary
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 05:33:21 pm »
If you're worried about vandalism, buy 2 signs. One of the "caution bees" signs and another right next to it with small font that reads, "Smile, you're on camera". They don't have to know that you don't really have a camera.
Backyard Apiary - My adventures in beekeeping.
Brewed By Us - A social site for homebrewers (beer, mead, etc.) to share recipes and brew journals.

Offline John Lee Pettimore

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 05:40:58 pm »
And one that says "Forget the Dog - Beware of Owner"
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams.

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 06:37:24 pm »
No one around here will get near them.  They think you have to be some kind of mystic bee charmer to go up to the hives and take the lid off without getting stung.   If you put up a sign you probably won't ever have an issue.  for that matter bee hives are probably better than No Trespassing signs.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 07:42:15 pm »
I feel lucky in the way that my girls are all kept well away from the roads and far enough from neighbors to not have a issue from trespassers. Not that it can't happen. But if I had to keep them in a area that I thought they may need protection from trouble makers, I thought it would be a good idea to find a shop that could print me the following sign.
WARNING !! It has been proven that 2000 bees are lethal to humans. BEWARE !! These hives contain roughfly 40,000 + bees each. You do not want to go there !!

Offline wfuavenger

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 07:59:42 pm »
I will be putting a sign up in front and behind the hives just incase... and you would have to be blind to not see them they are just about neon. I have thought about putting up some easy stockade fence on both sides of the garden, since those are the only two access points not from my house and garage, but that will cost more time and money.

I guess I will try it there on the porch for the first year or two, if they are not doing well, I will move them.

Thanks!!!!!!

Pics are posted!!!

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 06:44:19 am »
Beehive vandals don't read signs often, and when they do, it just eggs them on.
It's usually "brave" school kids throwing rocks at the hive.
The railing shouldn't be a problem. If the girls don't want to fly through it then they'll fly over it.