Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How resiliant are Queens in a Queen Cage?  (Read 1153 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
How resiliant are Queens in a Queen Cage?
« on: August 23, 2010, 12:26:44 am »
Hi Everybody,

Just wondering how resiliant Queens are in Queen cages normally? Mine had 6 attendants with her - she was packaged last Wednesday, went in to a hive (which i got froma cutout) on Saturday - got a bit beaten up in that hive (cage dropped from between the bars twice and now i've sat it on top of the bars with an elastic band over it to hold it in place) and has today been caged 6 days - some of the attendants are dead although she is still alive (atleast as of yesterday afternoon) so i'm assuming she is getting fed by the hive. I put a small hole through the candy to speed up them eating her out...

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: How resiliant are Queens in a Queen Cage?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 05:28:43 am »
The attendants often get killed, but it's a better sign of acceptance if they don't.  Dropping won't hurt the queen any, from the height she would fall in the hive anyway.  They will feed her and you can keep a cages queen in a hive that accepts her for weeks or even months.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Re: How resiliant are Queens in a Queen Cage?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 06:46:07 am »
I manually released her tonight-all the attendants were dead-I saw the hive bees feeding her. When I released her they raced up to feed and preen her-queen introduction a success! Although manual release is not my preferred method